Food in your emergency bag

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jansman

Food in your emergency bag

Post by jansman »

Saturdays I do an 11 hour shift.Although I eat at work,it is frequently rushed and any old time.That means I always go home ravenous for grub! Yesterday the council/ highways agency decided to resurface a road that only just opened,and not only that one,but seemingly every other road nearby! This caused a major traffic jam at 3 o'clock in rural Derbyshire.

I had to get something to eat,so as the engine had been turned off for twenty minutes,I went to the boot and raided my GHB.In there was some Scottish shortbread and some cereal bars.It filled a gap,but it was a bit ' lacking ' somehow.I want a no- cook option.

So what do you pack?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Re: Food in your emergency bag

Post by Deeps »

I have some cereal bars and pepperamis as 'eat on the go' food. The rest is either canned or dried and best heated, I keep a hexy stove in a plastic box for that although you could eat the canned stuff cold.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I like the pepperami idea. I now have a small hexi stove in my bag and a trangia mess tin and lid ( total weight WITH water is still only 10lb).There is room in the bag for a can or two.We are just nipping out to Home Bargains...

Robert Frost.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:19 am I like the pepperami idea. I now have a small hexi stove in my bag and a trangia mess tin and lid ( total weight WITH water is still only 10lb).There is room in the bag for a can or two.We are just nipping out to Home Bargains...
Throw a cup in there and you're sorted for cup a soups and coffee too. ;)
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

It's very individual, I think. For me, it depends on how I'm feeling and how my stomach's coping with everyday life :oops: I might want something very plain - a pack of oatcakes, or Holland and Barrett used to do a 100g pack of sesame seed sticks, they were good and gluten free too. If I need something more concentrated - a home made mix of sultanas and walnuts. If I know I want something to eat on a long day out, I do a pasta dish: guten free fusilli with frozen peas or broad beans, tomato puree and pesto, and feta cheese sprinkled on. With two spoons, because I'll eat it bit by bit :) But permanent storage, its the first two: oatcakes/ sultanas and walnuts.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Deeps wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:43 am
jansman wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:19 am I like the pepperami idea. I now have a small hexi stove in my bag and a trangia mess tin and lid ( total weight WITH water is still only 10lb).There is room in the bag for a can or two.We are just nipping out to Home Bargains...
Throw a cup in there and you're sorted for cup a soups and coffee too. ;)
I have a plastic cup in there. I have shoved in tea bags, dried soup ,pepperami, and a microwave vegetable rice, which I could boil in the bag to warm it up.

As Arzosah says, it IS an individual thing. It’s not something that was at the top of my list until yesterday, when I wanted some halfway decent grub. Incidentally, walking down the food aisle in Home Bargains there is a good range of ready to eat ‘lunchtime ‘ foods but they all seem to contain bl@@dy tuna !

Robert Frost.

Me.
korolev

Post by korolev »

I favour a tin of rice pudding as it's delicious hot or cold.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Mre bit of welding wire lash to top of engine leave ticking over 15 mins or so.. remove open and eat.

Mate of mine from past job used to wedge last night's chinky to the engine of his forklift
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

I have never had the experience of eating an MRE. When I was a bootneck we ate the 24 hour rat packs, so it was pretty much what could be bought off the shelf back then.With lots of curry powder! It was 1980.

Anyhow, my wife suggested I have a selection of fruit and nuts etc. Which I replace when needed. That could work, as the car will be cooler.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

I'm really quite sad and keep a 72hour supply of tinned food & water, tea, coffee in the car along with a solid fuel stove. Along with shovel , foul weather gear, torch, knife, etc and a book in case I'm in for a long wait.
I like the idea of a tin of rice pudding though - will be adding that!
As a footnote I drive all over the highlands all year so there is potential to get stuck due to snow/floods etc.