do you have any strange health remedies?

Medical and Healthcare
Jamesey1981

Re: do you have any strange health remedies?

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Ultimate overnight crash diet for when you need to lose weight in a hurry.

Eat a large chicken phall with rice, 20 onion bhajis, a portion of Bombay potatoes and some pakoras, wash it down with a slab of stella.

Weigh yourself, you may need a responsible adult to help with writing down your weight.

Go to bed, or pass out on the floor if you are unable to manage it or are unwelcome in bed.

At some point you will wake up and the first place you will be going is the bathroom.

Once you have finished in there and opened the window, weigh yourself again, the difference in the two weights will be astonishing.

On a serious note, I've used glue for cuts and it works fine, so does flour if it's not too serious, give your blood something to clot around, although there is a risk of introducing infection as it isn't sterile.

Sudocrem (yes, the nappy rash cream...) is really good for minor burns.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

Not quite but when I work abroad I take Vitamin C and multi vitamins everyday!
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Rizla papers on relatively minor cuts are really effective as a clotting agent too.
Raven

Post by Raven »

Not sure if this is strange enough but...Aloe Vera on pretty much any cut/sting/burn after its been cleaned. It is also soothing as aftersun.
The plant you can even cut a leaf and put it on directly. If can add a drop (only a drop) of lavender essential oil (ensure you mix well in a bowl with a spoon before applying. ONE DROP will work! Essential oils are concentrated and NEED To be diluted quite a bit) to the aloe Vera for burns which will help with scarring and easing the pain.

Turmeric for anti-inflammatory. I read a book on digestion, apparently ibrufen’s anti-inflammatory side effects don’t kick in until about 3 weeks after you start taking it as it needs a accumulative effect. Whereas turmeric is 3x more powerful an works immeadiantly from being absorbed and without harming the stomach. I’ll either add it to some food i am eating in powder form, with a sprinkle of black pepper or i have a bottle in tablet form that also have the pepper with the turmeric as the pepper increases the absorption of the turmeric in the gut.

Lemon, lime, ginger slices in hot water with a little local honey. We have this all year round specially when we detect sniffles coming on. The local honey made by local bees help with any allergies or hay fever.

Honey is also antiseptic so in a pinch if there is no detol/savlon I can use that to clean out a small cut.

Having said that I usually boil the kettle, dissolve table salt in the hot water and cold water to cool it down fast and rinse out the cut with that. Salt water is also good for swishing in the mouth for mouth ulcers, and drawing out pus in infected parts, like toes.

Salt baths for very dry skin too. I can’t have bubble baths it irritates my skin very badly, and I get itchy and sore. I add a few cups of normal table salt that you can buy in 1kg bags for £1 from the supermarkets. This was before Epsom salts and were readily cheap and available where we were i guess. Salt baths I find very soothing and oddly it doesn’t dry out my skin, my skin seems to love seawater too. When i have a cold I add a little menthol crystals to it too. You can get these from pharmacies, usually stored behind the counter.

;)
Keep calm & carry on PREPPING :twisted:
jansman

Post by jansman »

Nurseandy wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:02 pm Rizla papers on relatively minor cuts are really effective as a clotting agent too.
Mine is not a ‘remedy’ , but with cuts to hands being an occupational hazard, we have to use regulation blue plasters. Anyone who has to use them knows that they are crap! So we keep a roll of blue electrical tape in the first aid kit to cover a decent dressing.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Those blue plasters are rubbish, they never stick.

Electrical tape does actually make a pretty good plaster on its own, used to use it all the time back when I was a theatre lighting tech as I always had a roll in my pocket.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Captain Darling

Post by Captain Darling »

I not only use Vicks vapour rub on my throat and chest, I use it on my feet and armpits as well. Also for my kids i scoop some in a tissue, fold it up and push it down the side of bed and down the headboard to act as an infusion.

To cool somone down whos overheating use cold packs/compress/water under the armpits, behind the knees, back of the neck, hands and feet, perenium (gooch). Same for warming them up if they're hypothermic. The skin there is more sensitive and has a disproportionate amount of nerve endings and heat receptors.

Warm salty water soaks or bicarbonate of soda and water for blisters and splinters.
Cutting, combustion, cordage, container, cover.
Mad Scientist

Post by Mad Scientist »

My Nana used to give me Milk of Magnesia if I had a poorly tummy as a child.
Mark White

Post by Mark White »

Deeps wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:56 am It would have to be a pretty serious cut before I would consider glue. Like unstoppable bleeding and nowhere near assistance.
Use it frequently on finger tips in Winter, skin alongside fingernails splits in cold wet weather, I've tried plasters in hope it would heal when covered but found eventually, (any) superglue (and push edges together for 30 seconds) has worked fine for some years now
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Growing up TCP was the cure all for cuts grazes, mouth ulcers and sore throats. If we were out of TCP then we were made to use strong salt water as a mouth wash or gargle for the sore throats or mouth ulcers.