Anyone growing winter crops?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Ysverine

Anyone growing winter crops?

Post by Ysverine »

With the looming news of Brexit wiping out access to store-bought fresh produce just in time for the UK to hit the 'hungry gap', how many of us are thinking of (or indeed, already are) growing our own to supplement whatever tins and frozen goodies we might have stored up?

I've been stupidly excited this week because my broad bean seeds arrived, and my onion and garlic sets are on their way :D I'll probably also replant any suitable seed potatoes from my current crop once harvest time hits.
Raven

Re: Anyone growing winter crops?

Post by Raven »

Yes I have been thinking about how brexit will affect our economy for the next 2 years. :? :cry: I have been searching for some heirloom seeds, and intend to build a cold-frame hut soon, ready for spring.

Did you know you can recycle some of your kitchen waste? Like your carrots, onions and potatoes? :shock:

So you cut a little further down on your carrot tops and onion roots, place in water and in a sunny place for a approx 3 days (change the water daily) then replant? For potatoes that have seeded part cut off the seeded part leaving a few inches on and plant. I thought that was super cool. 8-) I tended to plant the whole potato but it doesn’t need it all apparently. :lol:

I am also looking at getting some of those sprouting seeds and micro greens. You have to be careful with those apparently though. The broccoli sprouts are apparently have even more nutrients than eating the same of broccoli, but if you eat too much constantly then it can make you ill. Now don’t get me wrong I still want to eat normal broccoli, but that is definitely something to think about adding a little into my food. I bought a medium micro green tray set from B&Q for a little over £7, which is the same cost to get it from china from amazon :shock:

I also have the urge to look into getting an orange tree...weird. :lol:
Keep calm & carry on PREPPING :twisted:
jansman

Post by jansman »

For Winter we shall have kale,perpetual spinach,parsnips,Jerusalem artichokes,leeks and oriental greens.Then there will be stored fruit, potatoes and Winter squashes.Reading that list makes it sound rather grand,but it is all grown in a relatively small area.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

I suppose it also relates to where you are in the country as to what you can keep growing deep into the winetr. Over here on the sunrise coast it does stay relatively warm [unless we get the beast from the easy again] and poly-tunnels / greenhouses also help extend the season. That said we have been very lazy this year and will be fully harvested by October I reckon.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Ysverine

Post by Ysverine »

Raven wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:31 amDid you know you can recycle some of your kitchen waste? Like your carrots, onions and potatoes? :shock:

So you cut a little further down on your carrot tops and onion roots, place in water and in a sunny place for a approx 3 days (change the water daily) then replant? For potatoes that have seeded part cut off the seeded part leaving a few inches on and plant. I thought that was super cool. 8-) I tended to plant the whole potato but it doesn’t need it all apparently. :lol:
Apparently it doesn't work with carrots (you only end up regrowing the green tops), but I've had some success with leeks and spring onion scraps. I even managed to get them to flower, so I've saved the seeds for next spring :D I'm not sure I'd trust supermarket potatoes to hold up against blight, but if you have success then let me know!

My tomato plants in the greenhouse have finally woken up and started producing fruit, so I might be getting plum toms well into October at this rate. They're flipping massive plants, one of them's even trying to escape under the greenhouse zipper. I'm starting to wonder if I've accidentally grown a triffid instead :lol:
jansman

Post by jansman »

Expanding on Arwen’s ‘laziness ‘...I am actually taking down my very worn greenhouse and polytunnel, as much as they do make my garden productive. They take maintenance and management, and time I cannot commit to I am afraid.

So, I am taking the greenhouses down and replacing ( near the outdoor powerpoint) with a large coldframe and space for the propagators. That frame will be high enough to grow the plants needed, and then the half dozen tomato plants to the point the lid comes off after frost risk.

Then I will have half a dozen raised beds ( concrete blocks so they last forever) 8x4 with integrated frost/ pest covers. I have grown a lot of what we two eat this year from just two 8x 4 beds, so if beds are not needed, I shall simply cover with black plastic. Between the beds will weed suppressant fabric and bark chips. Chuck in the fruit trees and perennials, it will make for easier gardening. The easier it is, the easier it will be to provide for Winter, which is a challenge for any gardener.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Raven

Post by Raven »

Apparently it doesn’t work with carrots
:shock: I thought it failed cos I did something wrong. I was planning on retrying with a heirloom variety as I didn’t understand how they...had little carrot babies?! :lol: But this just proves my naivety as a gardener, the seeds come from the flowers before they are ready.

We are lucky enough to get a massive sack from the local farmer to supplement the tatties we grow our own, so I don’t usually have to eat the shop ones. Although our growing space is going to go from a 6m x 2.5m bed to whatever containers I can fit them in shortly :cry:

Oh cool story about veg!

I can remember once we were friends with a cattle farmer and before he died, he rang to let us know Tesco’s had been and we’d whizz round taking a pair of wellies and when we got there I was told to put them on. I thought I was able to pet the cows, but that wasn’t it at all. I had to climb a mountain of “rejected” carrots from Tesco’s and I kid you not, this pile was taller than a 2 storey house and twice as wide. I couldn’t understand why all of them were rejects as they looked perfectly fine. I also found some parsnips, a swede, and leeks which we took back for dinner. It was such a surreal experience.

I thought it was cool, cos i got to climb it, and it opened my eyes a little.

So I need to persuade my roommate to let me grow some of the plants inside the conservatory over winter, as apart from the potatoes i’m Not sure much would survive in the cold. I am aiming to get to the stage where I can rely on my gardening skills to provide us with enough potatoes, carrots, parsnips, onions, mung beans, peppers, turnips, broccoli, leeks, and if I can find the space, pumpkins. On top of the micro green soft lettuce leaves, variety of herbs and sprouting seed. I also am researching companion planting to help protect and increase yield. Then the apples, raspberries, blackberries and strawberries we already dabble in are outside. Then an orange tree! Hahaha. My roommate thinks I’m nuts as I have the opposite of a green thumb. But I’ve been speaking to the villagers who have allotments and they have been so helpful, giving me advice and showing me pitfalls to avoid. It could be a disaster, but i’m gonna try and then try again.

Our issue is what garden we have is mostly patio so it will be a container operation. I need to ensure the nutrients get replenished for the plants etc. :?
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

"Then I will have half a dozen raised beds ( concrete blocks so they last forever) 8x4 with integrated frost/ pest covers."

And easier on the back. We used [FREE] concrete roof tiles for the edges, set into the ground only about 3" or 4" which was plenty to leave 12" sticking up, and they lock together like they would on a roof. No good if you want to go up higher though.
Edge 1.jpg
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
jansman

Post by jansman »

Thanks Arwen.My back is also a big issue. :D Like those tiles though...

Robert Frost.

Me.
Raven

Post by Raven »

Has anyone ever tried growing in their orangery over winter? Or somewhere else indoors?