Brexit in October?

How are you preparing
izzy_mack

Re: Brexit in October?

Post by izzy_mack »

Medusa wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:47 pm I am continuing to prep as before, but with a little more oomph! We would mostly be ok, but our kids who may not have the financial ability to stock up may not be. My son has his own business which could be affected, my eldest daughter has two children and my preps are also focused on helping them should interest rates rise, food prices increase hugely etc. We wouldn't be able to support them in any huge financial way, but would be able to help out with food and general household supplies. I have encouraged eldest to stock up on children's medication just in case.

I could have written this it sounds exactly like my position, I.m sure it will resonate with lots of us. Like you Medusa, financial support is difficult/near impossible but if I can feed them I will and adding a few extras every time I shop (and I've been doing this for quite a while to prepare for Brexit) I've managed to get a decent stockpile ready. I cannot bear to think of children or grandchildren going hungry so that's what my more recent preps have been aimed at.
jansman

Post by jansman »

It’s about preparedness in general really. Just had a phone call from mother in law. She has diabetic ulcers, and needs bandages ( the prescription didn’t come through- no wonder the NHS is effing collapsing!).guess what? We have a boxful. Oh yes, they get paracetamol on prescription too. WTF! They are the archetypal Rich Pensioners too. Rant over.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:00 pm It’s about preparedness in general really. Just had a phone call from mother in law. She has diabetic ulcers, and needs bandages ( the prescription didn’t come through- no wonder the NHS is effing collapsing!).guess what? We have a boxful. Oh yes, they get paracetamol on prescription too. WTF! They are the archetypal Rich Pensioners too. Rant over.
Charge her £9 per item ;)

Supply and demand and all that :twisted:

Supprises me people don't have a few spare bandages and basic first aid supplies my parents always did so did the late grandma and grandad.... (By a few err I mean I've probably got 100 bandages of various types and sizes across about 5 kits :/. House/ shed/ allotment/ my car / Mrs A's car plus few other boxes bits in day sacks and mini kits

Reminds me need some more vet roll in the car after I used it on holiday
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
hobo

Post by hobo »

Time to buckle up?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-49495567
Parliament suspended to mid-October
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

hobo wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:27 pm Time to buckle up?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-49495567
Parliament suspended to mid-October
The media seem determined to whip it all into a frenzy. I find it sort of insulting, if we're not gnashing, wailing and screaming "why God, why......." They think they're not doing their jobs.

Whether you or I wanted it it's irrelevant. The country voted to leave. There's just as much of a mandate for a hard Brexit as there is for a deal. The country was asked if we wanted to leave or remain, no caveats, a simple yes or no. Parliament have conspired to make it as difficult or impossible for the PM to comply with this so it's no surprise this PM is employing his own dirty tricks. While I find him a horrible human being, he's at least carrying out 'our' wishes (even if they are for his own selfish agenda). The rest seem happy to fiddle while Rome burns squabbling over what vision of deal they want and who's going to be interim PM when they get rid of the current one. When this is all over I'll be back to spoiling my ballot.
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Totally agree Deeps.....Except the spoiling the ballot bit :)
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
jansman

Post by jansman »

Precious metals have spiked. Sure sign of lack of confidence by investors. Whatever the rights and wrongs though, Trump’s Bitch needs to grow a pair and let his peers scrutinise his plans. It might be gamesmanship, but I call it cowardice.

This last three years has fundamentally changed British Democracy, and not in a good way. It’s gonna happen, and it looks like it will be messy - but that is not an issue when your money comes from the Public Purse and you most likely have private income.

Robert Frost.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Agree absolutely Deeps although I'm another one who wouldn't spoil my ballot paper. Immaterial which way any of us voted - until MPs can act like grown-ups and do the bloody job they're paid to, then these smartarse tricks will be allowed to sneak in. We got too careless and let politicians off with stuff for too long I think.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Bang on Lil.!

Robert Frost.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yep, yep, and yep ... I'm with Deeps nowadays in spoiling my ballot paper. People worked hard to get me the right to vote, so I won't not go, but I won't condone any of the nonsense, plus the constituency I live in is very far apart from my own views. So I spoil, and live in hope that someone, some day, will do an analysis of the spoiled papers (which are kept along with the others, and which can all be traced to individuals) anyway, yes, I hope the spoils will be analysed and someone will ask *why*, and ask what's being written ... I live in hope ... about some things, anyway.