do you have any strange health remedies?

Medical and Healthcare
jeffleft

do you have any strange health remedies?

Post by jeffleft »

When I was a lad growing up whenever I had a temperature, flu like symptom. I was treated to vinegar and water applied on my forehead with a folded handkerchief!
I'm not sure if there is any medical reason but it did seem to help! Perhaps the stink of the vinegar was a distraction? and if really bad a tot of brandy :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway it got me thinking does anyone else have any unusual methods of treatment?
The world garnered your chance existence, the most you can expect is your next breath and the most you can truly want is a peaceful passing
Panther

Re: do you have any strange health remedies?

Post by Panther »

You're going to get some interesting replies to this topic :!:

Try this one:
If you have a wart rub it with a broad bean pod and then bury the pod in the garden! Old Norfolk remedy. Yes we're a funny lot in Norfolk. :lol:
There may be trouble ahead
But while there's moonlight and music
And love and romance
Let's face the music and dance
jeffleft

Post by jeffleft »

I think that's brilliant, It's nice to hear about the old ways that people used to get through life! Just used google and Broad Beans are full of vitamins A which can help with common warts!

These home remedies may sound a little strange but if you ever read the leaflet that comes with medication? weight gain, depression, dizziness, blood pressure and that's used to make you feel better? :lol: :lol:

I have trouble with :oops: Gout (Pain that bad the first thing you think about as you open your eyes is, I want my foot removed) :oops: and its help me change the way I think of food and drink, plus the realisation that if you have chest pains and need to visit AE in the middle of the night you could be waiting 3-4 hours before you even see triage!

I think people and in the past including myself, think doctors are gods who can fix anything and are only a ambulance away! :?

They certainly are not, the only 'god' I know who can take care of me first hand is me, prevention is key!
Lucky before they switched on 5G I had upgraded my tin foil hat! :tinfoil I also took the liberty of wrapping my router in tin foil, :tinfoil for some reason my wifi no longer works, but at least I know they cant spy on me :lol:
The world garnered your chance existence, the most you can expect is your next breath and the most you can truly want is a peaceful passing
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

If ever I had an upset stomach as a child I would be given a drop of whisky or brandy in hot water with sugar, either that or a glass of soda water from the glass syphon in the pantry under Granny's stairs. Bumps on the head had a knob of butter applied. Sugar and butter or treacle and butter were mashed together and given for bad coughs. Molasses administered for constipation. My sister suffered from asthma as was forced to wear a liberty bodice to keep her chest warm in the early 70's.
Growing old disgracefully!
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

I recall my dad using a dilution of hydrogen peroxide to clean and "fizz out" the grit from a nasty wound when I fell off my bike. Not something you learn on the current first aid syllabus these days 😁 !
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
jeffleft

Post by jeffleft »

I have used superglue to seal cuts but Hydrogen Peroxide? Wow that's something I would never have thought of using!
https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-7603 ... de/details
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

It would have to be a pretty serious cut before I would consider glue. Like unstoppable bleeding and nowhere near assistance.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Hi Deeps, seems wild using glue but its actually pretty basic and used in lots of situations. For example scalp lacerations and I've also used it to seal a 10mm laceration on a child's eyelid (in a&e I hasten to add - not just randomly in the street :lol: ).
Really it depends on how deep & where the laceration is.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Nurseandy wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:33 am Hi Deeps, seems wild using glue but its actually pretty basic and used in lots of situations. For example scalp lacerations and I've also used it to seal a 10mm laceration on a child's eyelid (in a&e I hasten to add - not just randomly in the street :lol: ).
Really it depends on how deep & where the laceration is.
Hola Andy, aye, I know it gets used for serious wounds, going back to the Vietnam war. If I was shot or stabbed and had nothing else I would use it, assuming the field dressing I carry in my FAK's wasn't up to the job. Glue just seems to get trotted out as a 'go to' and so far I've not had need to use it, I've managed to stop any serious bleeding with pressure. I believe it's a bit of a bugger for you medical types to clean up too.
jeffleft

Post by jeffleft »

I agree its not the best method but because I take Anticoagulants I am supposed to go to A&E if I cut myself!
The country is broke and people are dying waiting to be seen, there's enough people taking what little is left of the NHS resources without me and my poor little cut :P

That's my Meldrew moment for the day! :lol: :lol: