BOB Multi Tool

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
DundeePrepper

BOB Multi Tool

Post by DundeePrepper »

I'm currently building BOB's for myself and partner - looking for advice on a Multi Tool (Plier type arrangement - or other setup if recommended).

I want something sturdy and reliable, long lasting one will likely be used quite frequently. Covering all the basic tools, knife, spanner, screwdriver etc etc. Can you guys point me in a decent direction, needs to be legal carry UK too so no samurai stuff haha :tinfoil but equally I need it to be useful not a survival toy off of eBay or the likes.

Brand recommendations would be really helpful - appreciate it!
Newbie Prepper
The ability to foresee is not reserved for Psychics and Lunatics. The mind is predisposed to see the future from its own past.
- Unknown Author
jansman

Re: BOB Multi Tool

Post by jansman »

I have always been a fan of Swiss Army Knives in their various guises.From a legality angle,they are not frowned upon as long as you are not waving the blade around in a shopping centre! :lol: Depending on the model,I find the very small blade,the scissors,and toothpick the most used tools...

However,I have recently started carrying ( for work mainly) my Leatherman Sidekick.I find it quite heavy compared to the SAK,but in a belt pouch it is acceptable.Well made and reliable.The pliers and screwdrivers get used most,as we are always having kit breakdowns.Just bear in mind that the wickedly sharp blade LOCKS upon opening.

Of course,if you have good reason and are not being stupid,you will not infringe laws.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
korolev

Post by korolev »

First (and most important question), what's your budget, bearing in mind a MT for a BOB is likely to sit, unused, for months.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

One of the Ledderman multi tool range would obviously suit if your budget allows and are going to use it regularly, otherwise something cheaper like a SAN. [Bear in mind that the under 3" locking blade on most Leddermans' are still illegal in public places under normal circumstances I believe.]
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
gamekeeper752

Post by gamekeeper752 »

this might help to clear things up
Basic laws on knives
It is illegal to:

sell a knife to anyone under 18 (16 to 18 year olds in Scotland can buy cutlery and kitchen knives) unless it’s a knife with a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62cm) or less
carry a knife in public without good reason - unless it’s a knife with a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62cm) or less
carry, buy or sell any type of banned knife
use any knife in a threatening way (even a legal knife)
Lock knives are not classed as folding knives and are illegal to carry in public without good reason. Lock knives:

have blades that can be locked and refolded only by pressing a button
can include multi-tool knives - tools that also contain other devices such as a screwdriver or can opener
Banned knives and weapons
It is illegal to bring into the UK, sell, hire, lend or give anyone the following:

butterfly knives (also known as ‘balisongs’) - a blade hidden inside a handle that splits in the middle
disguised knives - a blade or sharp point hidden inside what looks like everyday objects such as a buckle, phone, brush or lipstick
flick knives (also known as ‘switchblades’ or ‘automatic knives’) - a blade hidden inside a handle which shoots out when a button is pressed
gravity knives
stealth knives - a knife or spike not made from metal (except when used at home, for food or a toy)
zombie knives - a knife with a cutting edge, a serrated edge and images or words suggesting it is used for violence
swords, including samurai swords - a curved blade over 50cm (with some exceptions, such as antiques and swords made to traditional methods before 1954)
sword-sticks - a hollow walking stick or cane containing a blade
push daggers
blowpipes (‘blow gun’)
telescopic truncheons - extend automatically by pressing button or spring in the handle
batons - straight, side-handled or friction-lock truncheons
hollow kubotans - a cylinder-shaped keychain holding spikes
shurikens (also known as ‘shaken’, ‘death stars’ or ‘throwing stars’)
kusari-gama - a sickle attached to a rope, cord or wire
kyoketsu-shoge - a hook-knife attached to a rope, cord or wire
kusari (or ‘manrikigusari’) - a weight attached to a rope, cord, wire
hand or foot-claws
knuckledusters
This is not a complete list of banned knives and weapons. Contact your local police to check if a knife or weapon is illegal.

Good reasons for carrying a knife or weapon
Examples of good reasons to carry a knife or weapon in public can include:

taking knives you use at work to and from work
taking it to a gallery or museum to be exhibited
if it’ll be used for theatre, film, television, historical reenactment or religious purposes, for example the kirpan some Sikhs carry
if it’ll be used in a demonstration or to teach someone how to use it
A court will decide if you’ve got a good reason to carry a knife or a weapon if you’re charged with carrying it illegally.

Last updated: 9 September 2016 from HM Government
Train hard,Fight easy, put the kettle on and make tea
jansman

Post by jansman »

There is a permanent Sticky link to that site at the top of the Equipment page.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

If it's a Bob which is only going to leave the house in a emergency I can't see the powers that be caring too much

A locking blade or not doesn't raise an eyebrow unless your going to be waving it about.

I've just walked to and from the allotment with my leather man and a lockknife with no issues as they were in my pocket and both got used.. (reasonable excuse to carry)

Walk round Tesco with one on your belt your going to attract attention

So would a pruning saw or other items either burry them in your bag or have them on a detachable pouch ... You can then leave them at home if your been evacuated to a sports hall or similar

I've got leather man in my car which Has no locking tools
https://www.multi-tool-store.co.uk/mult ... -grey-p926
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

DundeePrepper wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:04 am I'm currently building BOB's for myself and partner - looking for advice on a Multi Tool (Plier type arrangement - or other setup if recommended).

I want something sturdy and reliable, long lasting one will likely be used quite frequently. Covering all the basic tools, knife, spanner, screwdriver etc etc. Can you guys point me in a decent direction, needs to be legal carry UK too so no samurai stuff haha :tinfoil but equally I need it to be useful not a survival toy off of eBay or the likes.

Brand recommendations would be really helpful - appreciate it!
Whatever works for you but a BOB is a bag of stuff that you want to be of decent quality because you'll be depending on it if you need to use the bag in anger. A lot of the stuff would be better out the bag and getting used, at least for me. I don't have a BOB for those reasons, I could put together a fair few from my hoard of camping/walking gear but its stuff I use. Like some others I've got a 'GHB' which for me doubles up as a grab bag if I need to evacuate in a hurry to a sports centre for the night or whatever but a BOB, nah, I couldn't be bothered having to rummage through it for a sleeping bag or whatever every time I went camping/walking.

Just my 2 pence worth, go for it if you feel the need for one.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I got a SOG powerlock and removed the knife-blade. I love the compound pliers and that all the tools lock.
Mine is one of the ones with the V-tool so I can still use it to cut cord and stuff like seatbelt webbing without having an actual knife on it (I carry a lock knife for work, a fixed blade if I'm in the woods and a slip-joint at other times anyway).

SOG saws are the best MT saw blades I've used (I've only tried Leatherman's older models)

Some SOG MT's have the option of a 1/4 inch socket drive, with a 1/4 to 6mm Hex adaptor you can run any hex screwbit.

I use the Awl for making pop-can stoves.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
DundeePrepper

Post by DundeePrepper »

Thanks for all the reply’s.

To answer some of the questions:

Budget £50 each.

BOB vs GHB this is a mix of the two one will sit in partners work van the other in the house. The work one will be used probably used regularly.

I’m in the sticks a bit as it is - no longer in Dundee so this is more of a practical prep than an eothw prep - sensible everyday use that’s why the legal carry - I might just stick it in my pocket day to day.

Knife laws I’m aware of but really appreciated the in depth answer.

Not a fan of Swiss Army styles I think they are a bit naff to be honest but looked at the leather mans maybe?

Thanks for all the responses I’m off to do a bit of googling will post a reply if I decide to buy!!
Newbie Prepper
The ability to foresee is not reserved for Psychics and Lunatics. The mind is predisposed to see the future from its own past.
- Unknown Author