Tin opener

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Raven

Re: Tin opener

Post by Raven »

When I was little I regularly used to “run away” I was only like 4 and they used to watch me out the window, I’d Pack up the push chair with tins from the kitchen cupboards and then leave. They’d watch me from the window, but never ever did I once take a damn tin opener so after I died of dehydration I still would have been hungry or knawing on tin cans, roflol!!! :lol:

Thought it was an amusing young story to share?

I mostly try to buy cans with the openers but it is a fantastic idea to put tin openers with each store of canned food. Cans themselves can be useful in a variety so I consider them a must have. 8-)
Keep calm & carry on PREPPING :twisted:
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Have you not had the ring break off a few if those pull ones? I have, the tin opener still works on them though :D
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Plymtom wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:47 am Have you not had the ring break off a few if those pull ones? I have, the tin opener still works on them though :D
Exactly!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Raven

Post by Raven »

I guess i’ve been lucky so far, no rings fallen off so far - that I remember anyway. 8-)

It’s not that I don’t buy tins with no rings and don’t use tin openers, but for my emergency food I try to look for the ones with rings. LOL ;)

I have had a corned beef tin opening thingy break on me before, that was awkward to open after, but a traditional tin opener worked on it. The magic can opener didn’t like it, i’m presuming because it wasn’t round... :?
Keep calm & carry on PREPPING :twisted:
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Raven wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:27 pm I guess i’ve been lucky so far, no rings fallen off so far - that I remember anyway. 8-)

It’s not that I don’t buy tins with no rings and don’t use tin openers, but for my emergency food I try to look for the ones with rings. LOL ;)

I have had a corned beef tin opening thingy break on me before, that was awkward to open after, but a traditional tin opener worked on it. The magic can opener didn’t like it, i’m presuming because it wasn’t round... :?
The jury's out on ring pull food cans, by the very nature unless stored in near perfect conditions the thickness of material keeping the air our (along with the thickness of cans as time goes on) must mean things aren't what they used to be in terms of shelf life, I'm particularly concerned when it comes to things like tinned fish, we could be talking more than than bad guts or the trots here ;) call me an old fart but with new innovations come potential risks, if we go thinking it's canned food, it's gonna be the same as it ever was, we may be fooling ourselves if we try and hold on to it for too long.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

The only can we've had fail in storage was a ring-pull (cat food in this case), it took hours (spread over a couple of days) to find it by smell alone.... We first thought one of the Mogs had bought something half dead in and let it loose. The stink was unreal (insert "Puking" emoticon here).
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar