Fellow forward thinkers

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Raven

Fellow forward thinkers

Post by Raven »

Hello fellow forward thinkers! 8-)

I have been prepping in some fashion since I was little so I actually gathered a bag and dedicated it my earthquake supplies (but I would have used for any emergency). My entire family took great amusement out of this and mocked me for years. :lol:

By that time we had moved up to Scotland. I was commuting most days on the train to Inverness for my course. If you didn't know before Scottish weather is mostly unpredictable, or it seems that way as the weatherman struggles to get it right. Oh and the other thing about Scotland is it usually rains at some point every day. But I like the rain and if you're properly prepared then it isn't really an issue.

But travelling from one county to another just wow. Complete and utter different spectrums of the weather. I could go from warm and comfortable one end to freezing and wet/sleet/snowmush at Inverness or vice a versa. So you had to wear the right gear, layer up so you can layer down, (college heating in the old building was rubbish too) and have supplies for any delays, which could have been college or train related. It never failed to amuse me how little my friends took with them and they were constantly borrowing stuff. It was frustrating because I was like - ITS SCOTLAND RAIN IS EXPECTED, IT SNOWS IN THE SUMMER SO PREPARE THAT TOO, also please stop whining TRAINS GET DELAYED. :evil:

years later...

Still non of my family get it, call me strange etc but I don't understand how they can't get it.
Recently I started collecting enough water for 3 days with a little contingency on top of that because knowing my roommate they will undoubtedly hand out our supplies as soon as the water stops or the power goes down. I have a moral dilemma there as I want to help people but at the same time, I choose to spend my money to be prepared to protect me and my roommate, I can't afford to do it for the entire village and they could buy less designer cars and prep themselves. That mentality helps with the justification but I don't know how I would stick to it.

I have food, and heat alternatives, enough for 3 days which I will gradually increase (limited storage though) but I NEED to look at alternative power source...

My next main goals are:
    to expand on my basic first aid knowledge I have this desire to know how to deliver a baby, just in case. You hear the stories where its coming quick and they can't make it to hospital, in Lincolnshire where I currently live the NHS response time is shocking because they are massively, massively understaffed and overworked.
      grow some of my own food next year. I tried this year but had other matters to attend too which diverted my attention and the slugs ate it instead. :cry:
        increase my stamina so I could hike home if necessary, set up my bike as a back up get around vehicle and learn how to use my paracords.

I am preparing for a broad spectrum really. From powercuts to the water being shut off in emergencies, being snowed in (all which have happened in the last couple of years to me) car beak downs to more scary scenarios like a viral infection (like influenza, WHO are actually concerned that we will have another pandemic at some point) to EMP/solar flare to economic collapse. They mostly overlap in preps so it’s good to understand the versatility of my preps.

Raven out!
        Last edited by Raven on Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
        Keep calm & carry on PREPPING :twisted:
        richardivryn

Re: Fellow forward thinkers

Post by richardivryn »

Hi Raven, well you have defiantly joined the right group for advise, I have learnt quite a bit from joining this forum and the people on it all seem very pleasant and helpful.
        I too was called many things by friends and family for my prepping but to me its just common sense.
        good luck with developing your skills and supplies.
        Area 12
        Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome Raven, great introduction :) Just let me say right away you probably won't get any messages right away, in spite of your intro, people need to get to know you first :)

Love the story about the volcano! I can understand how that would alarm a 3 year old - amazing that you took action, good for you :)

Great first steps - if you want to take action on the diy solar, check out the thread here http://www.uk-preppers.co.uk/forum/view ... 16&t=16292, go to the website and hunt for them - I'm sure I've seen some there.

You still have a roommate? That must be incredibly tricky. Dried food takes up less space, thats for sure. But also a great idea to get first aid skills - I don't quite think delivering a baby will be covered :mrgreen: but if you keep on going you might find a course :) Oh, lots of first aid books on that book website too. And threads on here, of course.

Welcome!
        Raven

Post by Raven »

Thank you both for a warm welcome, only hours after my post was approved! ;)

I thought a more detailed intro would give people more info about my preppier nature and what My aims are. :tinfoil

I already have a basic first aid qualification. I used to volunteer for the BRC but had to temporarily stop. I wouldn’t have been comfortable with a basic first 2-day first aid qualification because they never see to go into much depth, whereas the BRC go deeper, even though its the same qualification, because they are building you up to do more advanced courses. I highly recommend it and I also find the weekly practices great to get up you knowledge and skill set. They do practice drills every now and then that really test you and keep you on your toes but it makes you a better first aider I feel - which is why we do drills I guess. :)

I plan on reading “where there is no doctor” next which I saw on another post and the kindle edition looks very interesting.

Btw thank you for the link to the other forum post I can see that being a very useful resource! 8-)
        richardivryn

Post by richardivryn »

First aid is one area I lack in badly, I was considering a course with the st John's ambulance group which is only down the road from my house but haven't managed to find the time as of yet.
        Area 12
        Raven

Post by Raven »

Hey Richard,

Do it. I don’t think you will regret it. Ours was an incredibly fun group, you also developed a morbid sense of humour. Scenario practice gets your mind re-wired. I used to panic at the sight of blood. Because I was worried for the other person, that they would get infected or worse bleed out. Now I can remain calmer and I am quicker to deal with it as I don’t freeze for a moment assessing I just get on.

Also remember to always pack cling film. This is incredible useful for burns. It protects it from dirt getting in or stuff (including clothes) from sticking to it which is incredible painful during and when they have to take it off/clean it. Then poor room-temperature water on it, cool water shocks the system and the body is then fighting two effects and it is even more painful, whereas room temperature cools it down gradually but still feels ok.

My family learnt this the hard way. Trust me if someone is burnt it’s painful enough without getting the other stuff wrong. Please take cling film in your first aid kit, even in the car.

If you do make the time and go for it, let us know how you get on :)
        grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Raven wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:22 pm Hello fellow forward thinkers! (Get it? Because with literally think about the future, so look ahead...) 8-)

Still non of my family get it, call me strange etc but I don't understand how they can't get it.

Hello and welcome.
        Like you i sometimes wonder just why people don't seem to have the "right" mindset to make a few preperations but over time i have come to understand why people don't " get it" . I think a lot of it is down to the press and predictions of what is going to happen and the following lack of total disaster. I grew up in the 70's and talk was of nuclear war being imminent. In the 80's we were all going to die of aids , later it was bird flu and a host of other diesases , peak oil was going to grind the world to a halt if the millennium bug didn't get us first. Putin is going to start ww3 or is that Trump or the Chinese or the Koreans ? When all these predictions and numerous others fail to be anywhere near as bad it gives people the mindset that "experts" don't really know anything , things are nowhere near as bad as "they" say and everything will be ok.
        Raven

Post by Raven »

It’s a shame really, but I need to make sure I put on my own oxygen mask before I can help others. I keep forgetting that part haha.

:lol:
        richardivryn

Post by richardivryn »

Clingfilm is always in my bag after needing it myself a couple of years ago, fell over and landed hand first on the wood burner.
        better hand than face though.
        Area 12
        Raven

Post by Raven »

That sounds painful. :(

But yes you are right about the silver lining there