Where should I get my dried beans, lentils and peas

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jeffleft

Where should I get my dried beans, lentils and peas

Post by jeffleft »

I was kindly advised to look at dried foods like beans, lentils and peas. But where to go for best value and can I buy in bulk?
I'm also looking at dried egg on amazon 80 eggs / 1kg there are some mixxed opinions on the quality or is this just people eggspecting too much! :P
The world garnered your chance existence, the most you can expect is your next breath and the most you can truly want is a peaceful passing
pseudonym

Re: Where should I get my dried beans, lentils and peas

Post by pseudonym »

Before buying in bulk I would try small amounts first, you may not like the results when rehydrated. :?
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jansman

Post by jansman »

If that food is your thing, then for value, try Asian supermarkets.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jeffleft

Post by jeffleft »

I dont know of any asian suppermarkets near to me, can anyone recommend a asian suppermarket who might do mail order?

I have just found this site 25kg of chickpea for £35 this is equal to morrisons in the uk?

https://superfood-market.com/products/p ... ALw_wcBcan
The world garnered your chance existence, the most you can expect is your next breath and the most you can truly want is a peaceful passing
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Tesco currently has a 2kg for £3.50 offer across their range of pulses ( mostly Natco brand)
Lidl have cheap lentils.

Speaking of pulses. I have some 5 gallon polythene bottles and have considered decanting my 1/2 and 1kg bags into them for more secure storage.

Opinions, anyone? I just wonder if a full bottle of pulses or rice would be more secure from critters than existing plaggy bags.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

Rice in particular, as far as I am aware , is screened and cleaned before bagging. I noticed a delivery at work that stated that ( we buy 25kg sacks). I store mine as is, in the bag. Never found any problems up to now. Let’s face it, if bags of rice or beans were crawling, the likes of Tesco and Waitrose would be doing something about it to stop complaints- that’s why they ain’t crawling.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

If you haven't eaten that type of food before, then buy some 500g packs from Tesco/ Asda/ Sainsbo, try out a few recipes from BBC food websites. That's really important! If you like it, and only if, I know of https://www.somayaskitchen.co.uk/ which is the online shop of my own local Asian supermarket, or https://www.healthysupplies.co.uk/ which is an online supplier I've used for about 3 years. Can't stress it enough, though, food like this isn't for everyone (though it is for me :) ).
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

The 'beans diet' isn't for everyone, I do eat them but I prefer other options and while I've got a hefty stash to make 3 bean chilli or whatever its not my 'go to'. I'll toss in the Jack fruit that Jenny introduced me to (thank you), it gives another dimension to a veggie based diet. I'm an unofficial semi veggie because of the missus but I wouldn't choose to eat beans 2 or 3 times a day, it will keep you going though with some carbs and a bit of flavouring.

For the OP, how long are you looking to provide food for ? Is it for a couple weeks or a couple years (or somewhere inbetween), it will impact on what you're stashing away. With very little effort you can live reasonably normally for a week or two assuming you have something to cook on.
jeffleft

Post by jeffleft »

Thanks for the knowledge and links. The most I can store is about 2 to 3 months at the moment but I will be moving 4 weeks before brexit, all being well. I am assuming and hoping utilities would not be switched off because they would be cutting their own throat, killing their cutomer base. Allthough I do believe with the event of these new smart meters they could implement gas and electricity controls on usage maybe 2-3 hours a day if I can afford it! :roll:

I was not a big fan of kidney beans and such but I am starting to get a taste for new things, like carrot sticks sometimes with peanut butter and olives, im using salad cream or mayo to replace butter on my bread and using UHT cheese to add flavour to sauces. None of these I would have considered before. I realise I need to try and compensate for lack of fresh or frozen veg otherwise I will end up with the minimum of gout and possibly later the big C, I am storing cheapo tinned tomatoes and will consume straight out the can half a tin every day to improve my vitamin intake. I only wished I had started this 20 years ago so I had a firm knowledge of growng food. :roll: