What have others allocated for a daily ration?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jeffleft

What have others allocated for a daily ration?

Post by jeffleft »

Just trying to get to gripps with prepping and probably underestimated quantities.

I previously planned around what I ate as a kid, egg, sausage or corned beef with fried chips! looking back this only worked with plenty of bread and butter and a weekly boost of fresh meat and veg in the form of a sunday dinner or stew.

I was wondering what others recomend for a good daily menu.
How far does or should a tin of corned beef or stewed steak go for two people within a three meal a day plan?
:?
The world garnered your chance existence, the most you can expect is your next breath and the most you can truly want is a peaceful passing
jansman

Re: What have others allocated for a daily ration?

Post by jansman »

I eat as much as I need.A gut full. Me and Mrs J. will use a 340 gram tin of corned dog,with a pan of mash and onions to make a hash,along with a can of baked beans OR veg and gravy. You gotta eat.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jeffleft

Post by jeffleft »

Cheers jansman, I think nerves have started to get te better of me :( :tinfoil

in case its any use I have just visited lidl and bought some more corned beef at £1.35 dated 2/1/24 and 32 cushell toilet rolls for £10 they seem ok much better than some of the bulk stuff from ebay.

Thank god for lidl ad aldi they seem to be the best for dates :P
The world garnered your chance existence, the most you can expect is your next breath and the most you can truly want is a peaceful passing
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Do you actually eat and enjoy corned dog? Store what you eat, Eat what you store, Restock and rotate......;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Just popping in to agree with jansman - it's what *you* eat that matters. I'm the same size as my sister, for example, or slightly lighter - but I eat maybe a third more than her, I just do. Metabolic rate, I suppose, though I do work hard in the garden and she trolls around in her car :)

One other thing - I measured out the recommended amount for dried beans, pasta too. Very often for dried beans or lentils, its 35g; no way does that make a satisfying meal for me! 45g, with olive oil if I fry a veg, or avocado oil if I just drizzle it over (I buy the oil, its got lots of micronutrients, and its expensive, but nowhere near as expensive as chucking away avocadoes left right and centre because I can't judge when they're ripe :roll: ). Same message though, in all of it - find out what works for you, and do it that way.
jeffleft

Post by jeffleft »

Thank you Yourshire Andy and Arzosah what you said makes good sense "eat what works for you" and is really great to know there are other like myself trying to their best to get by.

I had never heard of Avocado oil but it sounds like a great things to use, I have had a look round and noticed there are variations on avocado oil, I dont have a clue about? Can you give me some brands or types to watch out for and to avoid? If it was tinned tomatoes or beans, I know what to get. but im out of my depth!

Also people keep metioning Asian suppermarkets we have a Chinese suppermarket but it tends to sell spices and curry paste more than anything else. You wouldnt know of anywhere online to get dried beans and pulses, at a good price. I'm also looking for pop corn!

Regards
Jeff
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jeffleft wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:15 pmI had never heard of Avocado oil but it sounds like a great things to use, I have had a look round and noticed there are variations on avocado oil, I dont have a clue about? Can you give me some brands or types to watch out for and to avoid? If it was tinned tomatoes or beans, I know what to get. but im out of my depth!
Erm, its personal choice, really. I buy supermarket own brand, cold pressed - cold pressed means the nuts/seeds are squished mechanically, thats all. Extra Virgin is the first squishing :D If oil doesn't say "cold pressed", its probably been extracted by chemicals which are never mentioned on the ingredients list, because they're a "treatment", not an ingredient. Sainsbo Olivado Avocado oil, Extra Virgin Cold Pressed, currently £4.50 for 250ml. I've no idea about other brands!
Also people keep metioning Asian suppermarkets we have a Chinese suppermarket but it tends to sell spices and curry paste more than anything else. You wouldnt know of anywhere online to get dried beans and pulses, at a good price. I'm also looking for pop corn!
Pretty sure I've answered that in another one of your threads - check out Healthy Supplies and Somayas Kitchen. You might do well to keep your queries in one thread if you're losing track :mrgreen:

Remember that all this stuff is personal choice! I don't know anyone else who uses avocado oil the way I do, for instance. Please make your own decisions on this stuff - it's really easy to waste a *lot* of money if you don't. Since you say you're feeling out of your depth, best slow down and stick to the basics, no avocado oil yet!