Im new & I cant think of anything to say but Hello

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
jeffleft

Im new & I cant think of anything to say but Hello

Post by jeffleft »

Hello all, I'm Jeff actualy I'm not Jeff I'm Greg Wallace! and I'm a little paranoid about being found out that I own a vast amount of baked beans!

No seriously I seem to have lost faith in the powers that be and as the guy from the X files says trust no one :tinfoil

Some 25 years ago I noticed people in the great US of A prepping for the apocalypse "while laughing to my self only in America!"

Anyway things have changed a little and allthough I have no plans of surviving the next Apocalypse, I do want to survive the failing of the current Governments and hopefully one day experence a just society!

I have just started stockpiling a few items because I'm quite sure no matter how this brexit thing turns out, even if we remain we will be worse off :cry:
With talk of 20% increase with a no deal verdict, this I believe can be seen allready with certain items, I maybe wrong? It might be just me being tight!

Its my belief thing will increase between 50% and 100% at least for a few months after "i'm hoping" but more realistically untill we go back cap in hand!

I am truly sorry if this opinion upsets anyone who voted to leave, I can assure you nothing would give me greater pleasure than being wrong! and I truly mean that, even going as far to allow all brexiteers to throw rotten food at me for a week :roll:
But I gave up bed time stories a long while ago.

Good luck to everyone
Jeff
The world garnered your chance existence, the most you can expect is your next breath and the most you can truly want is a peaceful passing
pseudonym

Re: Im new & I cant think of anything to say but Hello

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Hello Jeff/ Greg, welcome to the forum :)

I think a just society might be a little beyond our bounds as preppers :mrgreen: but surviving the fall of the current government (a minority with a majority of one when it's parliamentary ally is taken into account) - yep, surviving that should be within our capabilities :mrgreen: And with the fall in the pound, we're already set for price rises, probably. No idea how high they'll go.

Seriously though, if you're focussing on tins, try expanding to dried stuff - lentils, kidney beans, stuff like that, cheaper, takes less space.

Good luck to you too - you've come to the right place to look after yourself and your family.
jeffleft

Post by jeffleft »

Noted, apart from a few packets of dried mushy peas, potato flakes and a little rice, I had not bothered with dried food.
I think my first haul can be categorised as retail therapy while trying not to upset myself and my GF too much with fear mongering and mess, but now the writing is on the wall.

With this in mind I will do a stock take including date rotation and will try to feed the both of us for a weekend with what I pre concieve as being enough to live on?

I may have made the mistake of under estimating my needs, for instance my corned beef ration is a can split between two adults over two days :roll: mixed with potato and baked beans, this would be my one main meal with smaller snacks added morning and evening.

I'm aaa dreaming :lol:

Thanks to you both
pseudonym and Arzosah

Regards
Jeff
The world garnered your chance existence, the most you can expect is your next breath and the most you can truly want is a peaceful passing
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Have a nose around the scran section on here mate, loads of inspiration. If you're worried about Brexit affecting things then it might be worth stocking up on things that we mostly get from Europe.

Welcome to the forum.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Hello and welcome. Nothing wrong as i see it with having nothing to say in the beginning . In some respects if you went the opposite way and came on here telling everyone how to do things properly from your first post you'd more than likely just irritate people and piss them off. I tend to spend some time lurking on forums to get the feel of them . One for instance has a lot of very well educated people and that took me ages to pluck up the courage to join. Another is very argumentaive and polititical and i've decided not to join as i don't need the hassel. Aggression and pettiness have made me stop posting on another .
You'll find ways to join in conversations even if it's only to ask questions or to comment on your own experiences and good luck with your preperations , at least you're getting into the right frame of mind.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

grenfell wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:34 amNothing wrong as i see it with having nothing to say in the beginning . In some respects if you went the opposite way and came on here telling everyone how to do things properly from your first post you'd more than likely just irritate people and piss them off.
Oh thats so true! And that tends to happen quite a bit on here :shock:
You'll find ways to join in conversations even if it's only to ask questions or to comment on your own experiences and good luck with your preperations , at least you're getting into the right frame of mind.
Yep, taking part is all. Between Lone Wolf and Team, Team wins every time :)
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Welcome to the forum. As you've probably sussed most here are not prepping so much for the apocalypse as for personal financial hiccups, sudden unemployment or illness. Throw in Brexit and it really dosen't matter what is your main reason, the preps will work for all the above. I've been grateful to my full cupboards and stocks more times than I care to remember over the years. The only advice I would give is to buy food that you actually eat anyway, if you can. If like me you don't actually eat a lot of canned foods then you'll need to think carefully about how much you can use before they go out of date. Oh and if like me you end up ALWAYS reading the bb date and searching the shelf for the longest one, you'll need to give yourself more time to shop, it does take longer as my oh is always complaining about. :roll: