Feeding the masses

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Arwen Thebard

Re: Feeding the masses

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Arzosah wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:43 pm Curry reserve! I just happen to have half a teaspoon of turmeric in my porridge every morning :)

Used to love corned beef as a teenager though. Yum.
Corned beef in your porridge????? :o
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:48 am
Arzosah wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:43 pm Curry reserve! I just happen to have half a teaspoon of turmeric in my porridge every morning :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: Er, no :mrgreen:
My porridge has pumpkin seeds, linseed, peanut butter, ashwagandha and honey or jam 8-)
I do have a corned beef memory though: me and my mate, both aged 13 and training for the Bronze Award for the Duke of Edinburgh's Award: we made corned beef hash in one lesson, and my friend threw up on the way home :shock: it wasn't good!
jansman

Post by jansman »

Ha ha :lol: I have a corned beef hash for tea( along with spinach and runner beans from the garden). I love it.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Arzosah wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:33 am
Arwen Thebard wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:48 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: Er, no :mrgreen:
My porridge has pumpkin seeds, linseed, peanut butter, ashwagandha and honey or jam 8-)
I do have a corned beef memory though: me and my mate, both aged 13 and training for the Bronze Award for the Duke of Edinburgh's Award: we made corned beef hash in one lesson, and my friend threw up on the way home :shock: it wasn't good!

ashwagandha - had to look that up. Any benefits you had from it?
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Stonecarver wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:21 pm
Arzosah wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:33 am My porridge has pumpkin seeds, linseed, peanut butter, ashwagandha and honey or jam 8-)
ashwagandha - had to look that up. Any benefits you had from it?
It's hard to prove this sort of thing, but I think so, yes. A friend of Indian extraction recommended it, and I found a powder, rather than a capsule, which meant I could eat it as a food not a supplement. I had chronic fatigue for a long time (thats why I became a prepper rather than someone with a good big store cupboard), so I needed something that would support me long term to slowly get well. I feel it did that, basically.

This is a weirdly repetitive page of detail. "Modulating cytokines" is very interesting,though the number of conditions it's said to help with make it sound like the wonder drug of a travelling salesman :(
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/ph ... -somnifera

This is quite a bit more rigorous sounding:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3795014/

This one makes it sound like another wonder drug again, but it *is* a US patent, active for the next 14 years or so.
https://patents.google.com/patent/US9393281

WebMD isn't so impressed, but has so many warnings about its use, it kind of implies to me that it's an active herb:
https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingre ... shwagandha

Mostly capsules available on Amazon, but I use the organic powder - bought per kilo, its really not that expensive.