What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by jansman »

Well... back off me hols now, so first thing is to replace bits and pieces used from the GHB in the car. Then, secondly to deal with the mountain of firewood one of the lads has dumped on the front! After that it is preserving produce from the garden. The gherkins are growing like crazy, and the climbing French beans are doing a good impression too :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I have some raspberry roots gifted to me that have gone absolutely bananas, I only planted them a few months ago, and I had a couple of fruit off one set today :)

Plus I've got my dehydrator out - started with alchemilla leaves, weirdly. I plan on having lots of jars of dried leaves of various types, to mix together into a pesto. Tomorrow will be rhubarb slices after a one minute blanching.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Been getting a rake of veg from the new allotment and Her Maj has treated herself to a pressure cooker. I've acquired some wood from a neighbour (not masses, I don't need masses but its gone a way to filling the store for man/fire evenings) and I've been adding to the scran stash. Was up the allotment for a BBQ this afty and met a guy who whether or not he considers himself as a prepper, pretty much sounds like a prepper. :lol:

Need to dehydrate a load of chillies, the dehyrating as had a bit of a hiatus as its getting moved to the new man shed but I've not plumbed the lecky yet. The chillies need doing so I've got permission to do them in the house seeing as they won't stink the place out.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Been clearing the workshop. I had a wood turning lathe and Marples chisels. I never really used it, so I swapped the lathe for a very nice folding .410 shotgun. The chisels went for a very nice wedge of cash. Think I will take an early walk and see what I can bag with the gun.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:06 pm Been clearing the workshop. I had a wood turning lathe and Marples chisels. I never really used it, so I swapped the lathe for a very nice folding .410 shotgun. The chisels went for a very nice wedge of cash. Think I will take an early walk and see what I can bag with the gun.
Have you found a .410 useful ??? I've never used one, I'm just curious.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Ohhh old (pre 2000 ) Marples chisels are / were the dogs danglies when they were made in Sheffield part of the record group sold out to tong ting and now crap :(
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Have you tried the smoke hoods? Do they restrict your vision and hearing much. Plus how easy are they to put on?
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Hmm apparently quote didnt work. Last question aimed at Yorkshire Andy
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
jansman

Post by jansman »

Deeps wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:15 pm
jansman wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:06 pm Been clearing the workshop. I had a wood turning lathe and Marples chisels. I never really used it, so I swapped the lathe for a very nice folding .410 shotgun. The chisels went for a very nice wedge of cash. Think I will take an early walk and see what I can bag with the gun.
Have you found a .410 useful ??? I've never used one, I'm just curious.
Hi Deeps. Just got back from a walk around my little spread of a shoot up the lane. The gun performed well. Nailed one rabbit and two woodies. It takes a 3” magnum cartridge and is great for confined fields/ copse. Taking a 12 bore up there is like using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut! This little gun will be a go-to , along with my trusty Original 45 air rifle.

When I started shooting I had a Russian Baikal .410. Tough as boots and reliable too. Used it mainly for ferreting hedgerows, as netting them could be a bit of a faff. Just got to make sure I register it with Plod now!

Robert Frost.

Me.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

That sounds like a good trade Jansman. 8-)
.410 is an underrated caliber IMO. Mrs A uses one on occasion (with a 26 gram load) very effectively I must say.
20g is another useful caliber to consider, just as efficient as 12g IMO.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"