Torch

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc

Torch

Post by Post »

I’m wondering which type of torch each of you carry as an EDC, what you have in your cars, at home, in the BOB etc.

I’ve got a decent maglite for at home but it isn’t LED and you can’t adjust the light, it’s a new torch but it’s old fashioned if you ask me. Now I’ve got a load of cheap Chinese rubbish that works for now but in a SHTF situation I wouldn’t want to rely on them, they’re the sort you pick up for a couple of quid, look tactical and have the strobe and SOS function. So I’m looking at replacing those to have in the car and around the house, I’m wondering what to go for?

What do you all have? And can you put prices and where you get them from too please?
jansman

Re: Torch

Post by jansman »

Anything from LED Lenser for me.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Panther

Post by Panther »

My EDC torch is just a cheap thing from Tesco costing less than £10.
For more serious occasions (like calling the cat in at night :) ) I have a FENIX LD50 which I find excellent. 1800 lumins and a beam as bright as a car headlight.
There may be trouble ahead
But while there's moonlight and music
And love and romance
Let's face the music and dance
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I carry 3 small ones in my pocket (1 USB charged, 1 AAA and one that takes LR44 batteries). I can carry 3 or 4 sets of spare batteries for the LR44 one and AAA's are everywhere so cover bases, the USB one because I also carry a small powerbank.

The USB charged one is this.....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

The AAA is one of these....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

The LR44 one....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

I stripped down the chain to just a keyring but recently the plastic snapped so until I rig an alternative its loose in my pocket. As they live in my pocket I prefer the screw on/off. All three are very compact and don't have a zoom but as they're EDC they're fine for everything I've needed them for.

I usually have a Cree single mode torch in my jacket(s) pockets with a decent Nitecore battery in them, I've also got the bigger 18650 powered cheap cree's (my missus prefers them for an evening dog walk). I've other torches but these are my go to.
You can spend a small fortune on torches but I find the cheap one's do the trick. You talk about 'SHTF situation' but that covers a lot of bases, I've dropped the cheap ones maybe 6 or 7 feet onto stone and they've been fine, they're waterproof enough for what I've needed them for, I've not dropped one in a pond or anything so can't vouch for them in that regard. Head torches are something to consider too if you haven't already.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

LED lenser are very good, I have one that I use for lamping.

For EDC I have a fake nightcore tube, I had a real one that stopped working after six months or so which annoyed me so I buy the fake ones now, they last the same amount of time but they're a fifth of the price.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
korolev

Post by korolev »

In my pocket all the time is a jetbeam mk1, I run it with a 14500 but it also takes AA.
In my EDC bag I have a small head torch (Nebo Rebel CR123) and a couple of spare batteries.
In the car I have a Zebralight 18650 head torch and 3 or 4 spare batteries.
In the GHB I have a cheapo AA.
On my car FAK I have a AA maglite with led conversion.
In my storeroom I have about 20 other torches :|
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I've got one of those generic little jobbies that take the AA batteries and have the push button on the end . Well I've got a couple kicking round if I'm honest . I don't religiously carry one about on my person but they are there ready. There's normally a torch in the van and that's a 14'4volt dewalt one , basically a torch on what is a cordless drill handle . But big for carrying in a pocket but versatile and lasts a good time too.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I have my Lenser in my GHB. However, the torch ( I am SO glad nobody has said “ flashlight “) I use most is a Chinese ‘button’ key ring job that cost about 20p. I bought a bagful and each one lasts a Winter.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

An yes flashlight is more of a colonial term . Saying that one of the torches I have has a flashing setting . It was brought as it came with a bracket to enable it to fit on the bike and to be used handheld . One press of the button and it's a torch , another and it's flashing . More irritating than useful in my opinion .

Post by Post »

Yep, those ones with the different levels of lighting and SOS/strobe button wind me up no end because I forget which one it’s set on. So when I go out in the garden of a night time to fight off he invading slugs from my veg patch it strobes and I look like a right wally.

I bought a Duracell torch before, very slim and takes 1 AA but upon taking it out of the package it’s cheap plastic Chinese rubbish that I wish I hadn’t bought, it’ll be ok to keep on me at work and that’s all. I suppose you get what you pay for but I’ve got an obsession with torches, I can’t walk past a torch and not buy one.

The next one I think I’ll buy is an Olight, I’ll try them.