Tin opener

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
jansman

Tin opener

Post by jansman »

So our tin opener broke. Got the spare one, and that was shite too! Used the opener on my Leatherman. Got a new one from the co- op, and a spare too.

All that tinned scran is no good if you cannot crack it open! :lol: :lol: :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
pseudonym

Re: Tin opener

Post by pseudonym »

Too true,

Bought a load of cheap 49p ones from Wilko and threw them in each of my tinned food boxes. :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

We only seem to have the one 'proper' one, I've got a couple spare's stuck away somewhere but happy to use the one on my SAK(s) or the P38 type, I've got a fair few of them. Then there's the more agricultural methods, this one is interesting.

grenfell

Post by grenfell »

We've got a couple or three around the kitchen as well as the ones on SAK's and my p38 on my key ring . I do remember some time in the past not having one to hand , not very preppery I know in fact before I'd even heard the term. I was at work and someone had brought in some tins but had forgotton the opener. I didn't even have my keys on me so no p38 but we did have tools. Old chisel and a hammer soon gets them open. Crude but effective and from what I understand that's how tins were originally opened.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

grenfell wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:21 pm We've got a couple or three around the kitchen as well as the ones on SAK's and my p38 on my key ring . I do remember some time in the past not having one to hand , not very preppery I know in fact before I'd even heard the term. I was at work and someone had brought in some tins but had forgotton the opener. I didn't even have my keys on me so no p38 but we did have tools. Old chisel and a hammer soon gets them open. Crude but effective and from what I understand that's how tins were originally opened.
A reasonably hefty blade does the same thing.

Like you I keep a P38 on my keys and carry a SAK. I also have a P38 in my mess kit when I'm away, even if I'm not packing cans on a walk, you never know. Off topic but I carry an extra lighter in my mess kit for similar reasons.
korolev

Post by korolev »

When I go to Greece every tin I come across has a ring pull. They're starting to appear here more and more so I think tin openers will be a thing of the past (I'll still make sure I have a couple though).
angeuk

Post by angeuk »

Best tin opener I've ever had was a Sainsburys basic type for a couple of quid. I bought 3 more of them, They'll even open a Fray Bentos pie tin :lol:

Of course as soon as I noticed how good they are, they changed them. Typical.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Deeps wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:53 pm Like you I keep a P38 on my keys and carry a SAK.
Reminds me of another incident when someone at work took a tin but not an opener . He asked the rest of us if anyone had one and I produced my p38 and handed it to him . Completely blank look on his face as he had never seen one before . I showed him how to use it several times but he still couldn't grasp it . Next day he just handed me a tin..
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

grenfell wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:35 pm
Deeps wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:53 pm Like you I keep a P38 on my keys and carry a SAK.
Reminds me of another incident when someone at work took a tin but not an opener . He asked the rest of us if anyone had one and I produced my p38 and handed it to him . Completely blank look on his face as he had never seen one before . I showed him how to use it several times but he still couldn't grasp it . Next day he just handed me a tin..
:lol:

I could get it if you just handed it to him but if you showed him how it worked..... WOW ! Then again, he might have just realised its more of a faff than a normal one and happy to let someone else do it. Its the only explanation I can think of.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

It was weird how he couldn't get the hang of what is just two bits of metal. I'm not sure if he was just applying the pressure wrong or was just naturally awkward but either way he couldn't seem to get it right. You're probably right when you say it wasn't like a "normal" tin opener and that was what threw him.