What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:16 pm Well... right now I am glad that Mrs J and me are first aid trained. Just seeing daughter away at the front door and a young boy racer on a motorcycle ( too fast), hit the back of a car that stopped. Multiple fractures it seems, but the arm was a complicated fracture and pi@@ing blood. Jan got the main kit from the pantry and we stemmed the bleeding until the medics arrived- and they were quick!

Get trained.

I don’t need this sh!t, I have to be in bed soon as I am on a 4am start, and the adrenaline is still pumping. Life happens quickly at times!

Get trained.
It all happens on your street!

I'm on my fa@w three dayer next week refresher. So far learned cats can now go on double bone compartments ....

Just upgraded my cars warning beacon old led britax unit cables snapped and it's potted in resin so not fixable gone for a tiny little thing which eclipsed the britax ...

https://www.britalitez.com/store/p126/BEA250A.html
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

jansman wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:10 pm I would say yes. Providing they are not tennis ball size!
Attachments
images.jpg (5.84 KiB) Viewed 1460 times
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:15 pmIt all happens on your street!
Thats what I was going to say! Good grief, jansman!

I need to get a first aid course - never done one in my life :( But it can't be too long a day, and if I'm to keep the costs down, it can't be too far away either. Sigh ...

Anyway, I repotted my fennel (again - it really doesn't look happy) and potted on my new bay plant :D plus sorted out what cash I have at home, thats quite a relief.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arzosah wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:43 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:15 pmIt all happens on your street!
Thats what I was going to say! Good grief, jansman!

I need to get a first aid course - never done one in my life :( But it can't be too long a day, and if I'm to keep the costs down, it can't be too far away either. Sigh ...

Anyway, I repotted my fennel (again - it really doesn't look happy) and potted on my new bay plant :D plus sorted out what cash I have at home, thats quite a relief.
Try asking at the local fire / ambulance station or local council

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

First Aid
Will do, Andy, thats a good idea.

Diabetics
Just reading through some notes I made (i.e. copied wholesale) from the celtnet site. Doesn't seem to operate any more, though this one is live: https://www.celtnet.org/uk-links and this has some recipes: http://celtnet-recipes.blogspot.com/

Anyway, from the old blog, I have this paragraph, about lime trees:
The immature fruit has a chocolatey taste and is often nibbled by children. The mature fruit can be dried and used as a chocolate-flavoured coffee substitute or even a chocolate substitute. The leaves, flowers and fruit are edible, and the lime tree is an excellent resource for the wild forager. The younger leaves (when they are pale lime green and translucent) can be used as a salad vegetable or added to stews as a thickener. Slightly older leaves can be part-dried and used in stews.

The older leaves can be dried pulverized and when sifted the resultant powder can be used as a thickener for stews (in a similar manner to the African use of baobab leaves or American sassafras leaves). Powdered linden leaves also used to be used as a flour substitute or flour additive to make breads, cakes and porridge or pap. Indeed, it was used this way in France during the Second World War. The process is not exactly efficient, though, as 500g of fresh linden leaves will only yield 100g of linden leaf powder.

Linden leaves do, however, contain a high percentage of invert sugars. As a result they are readily metabolized by diabetics and can be an useful addition to diabetic recipes.

My village has quite a few lime trees, though most are too near busy roads to currently be considered good foraging. The thing about diabetics sounded like it might genuinely be useful, though, I know diabetes is very threatening.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

FIRST AID;
We are lucky to have a member at one of our ranges who is a recently retired paramedic. He gave us a basic oversight on the use of Celox [clotting agent] that his staff received in London and home counties to deal with stabbing and shooting incidents. Good knowledge if you can get it.

SECURITY;
Finally got around to adding the four extra security cameras to our home system this week. Still a coupe of small tweeks to do, but now we have good, high level coverage providing a 360 degree view around the house extending out to between 150 ft and 150 yds.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
jansman

Post by jansman »

Motorbike smash last night. Mrs J and me just had an evening out, walking back through the village and there is a full scale house fire on our walk home! Some fruitcake decided he was gonna kill himself and torched his flat ( top floor ) and has made heaven knows how many homeless. Said fruitcake decided it wasn’t time and jumped, breaking legs, and causing the Air Ambulance to scramble. How many emergency services too? That place is BURNING!

Moral? Have a hotel bag ready.

Yes, it sure happens round here.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Yesterday doing Winter preps, moving this: :o

Into here: :shock:

4 hours later: :P

and they say no good deed goes unpunished: :tinfoil

Turned my ankle so RICE all last night :roll:

TBH it hasn't "let go" on me for about 3 years so it was due :lol:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Selfish idiot drag him back in and leave him!

(The heartless man I am ;) )

In the subject of fire we visited rescue day near Scunthorpe today fair drive but it's always good...

The fire stand where they have a agency who come visit you after a fire to discuss fire safety what a completely do as we say jobsworth

Mentioned our chip Pan fire. Oh you should never use a fire blanket you might get burned....

Never use a fire extinguisher they don't last long never use a escape ladder await rescue .... And so on........

Gave the firemen a stall over a good chuckle when I said we declined the offer of a visit when the chip Pan went up.... "Well chip pans are a big fire hazard you should use an electric one they are much safe".... It was an electric one and the fire blanket worked and no one got burnt :D

jansman

Post by jansman »

That gave me a chuckle Andy. Don’t use a fire extinguisher or blanket? Bonkers! Last year when the car caught fire outside, 3x 1 kg dry powder units did the job before the brigade got there - and that motor was really going!

Nobody is encouraged to help themselves anymore are they?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.