Where to live

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
edwards1

Where to live

Post by edwards1 »

Hi Everyone
I’m a new member and this is my first post. I’m so happy to have found a uk preppers forum.

So the question is.

I’m putting my house on the market hopefully next year. I’m going to be looking for somewhere with land to move to for off grid living. Where is the safest place to go?
I’ve thought about going abroad, I really just don’t know, I’m rubbish at languages and finding a job would be difficult. I’d like to be away from nuclear reactors, army stations and densely populated areas, Growing food needs to be possible and livestock. We currently live in the south east of the U.K. anywhere down here is out of my price range.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
pseudonym

Re: Where to live

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)

I'm afraid that without your full history and circumstances (Which we do not expect) I cannot give you anything but go North or West to Scotland/Wales.

Good luck with your search. :)
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Hi Edward and welcome. :D
What is your family set up? Single? Partner/married? Kids? Age range?
Do you have any skills yet for living an off grid life?
Look forward to hearing more.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
korolev

Post by korolev »

I spent a week in rural Herefordshire last week. We were on a farm about 5 miles from the nearest shop and 15/20 miles from Hereford.
It's very sparsely populated (compared to the SE where I live) and property prices are very attractive.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome to the forum, Edward - an off grid life is a great goal, and the questions on the thread are important. In terms of populations movements, I think we have a huge advantage here in being an island offshore from Europe, and I'd stick with that. The population density of SE England, which is where you say you are, is very high, and taken along with the prices, as you say, its not really viable.

In terms of nuclear power, army bases, population density etc - lots of research can be done online. With the nuclear issue, you need to think about the normal wind direction, because that will make a huge difference. And sea level rise - just in terms of being flooded intermittently, not necessarily going under!

It's also necessary to think about how you'd earn a living, not just how you'd live at home. How will you bring money in?

Share what you can on here, of course, but not anything identifiable :)

Post by Post »

The best place to go would be the Isle of Man I’d say.
jopeco

Post by jopeco »

Hi. just like to say that one of the reasons that brought me to this fórum was to look for people wanting to live off-grid. I´m living in this country for 10 years now and I want to make a move back to Portugal but as I see the developments in the Arctic and knowing that our politicians are paid by big corporations it´s hardly to see how they will change policies for better( bare in mind that global warming first came on the table in 1972) my goal is to find a Good piece of land with water and all the basics where you can promote a place for several families living in same space but with indepent houses wich will bring the prices down ( shared land) Thinking about England is a really nice place, beautiful countryside but got to many people living in it and lots more will come, the figures are for 1 and half million climate refuges. At the moment Uk have 45 million people There the country nearly the same size and only 9 million living in it then the Sun and beaches, yes I want to find a place not far from the beach but high enought for prevention in case of floods. If you know anyone interested in this idea I´ll be all hears, still time to adapt to a different reallity and facilitating for our kids a good place to regroup and working for a tottaly NEW future... Jopeco
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

I have sent you a PM
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:12 pm I have sent you a PM
They won't be able to reply mate, you need to have 10 posts first.