Feeding the masses

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Arzosah

Re: Feeding the masses

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:51 pmThis country thinks it can feed itself? Maybe, if every scrap of ground was utilised, and the country was accepting of a restricted diet. We need to look at the Cuban Special Period perhaps?
Plus modern research and re-education https://www.geek.com/gadgets/grow-your- ... e-1639681/
It's not taking off so far, mind you :lol:
jansman

Post by jansman »

NO! I grow enough protein in a small space in the form of rabbits. They are part of my food culture. :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:15 pm NO! I grow enough protein in a small space in the form of rabbits. They are part of my food culture. :D
That's very heartfelt :lol:

I wouldn't eat them either :lol:
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Arzosah wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:54 pm
jansman wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:51 pmThis country thinks it can feed itself? Maybe, if every scrap of ground was utilised, and the country was accepting of a restricted diet. We need to look at the Cuban Special Period perhaps?
Plus modern research and re-education https://www.geek.com/gadgets/grow-your- ... e-1639681/
I can see why that particular idea hasn't taken off , $700 for what is basically a set of stackable boxes. If we are talking the taking off of insect eating in general then I reckon eating them as recognisable insects will remain something of a niche in the west but if they are processed to look like pies , burgers and sausages then the concept of insect consumption would be far more palatable and easier to swallow ( see what I did there ? I'll get my coat) .
Going off on a slight tangent a friend on Facebook posted something that came from somewhere called the Hampton Insitute. They were saying we produce enough for for 10 billion people and could easily double that amount. The meme of it was that the problem is caused by capitalism and we have a profit and distribution system problem. Not to get political here , I can see faults in capitalism and I'm basically a left winger but I found their ideas worrying at best if not dangerously frightening.

Hopefully this works,
https://mobile.twitter.com/HamptonThink ... 3800971265

Hampton institute https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hampton_Institute
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

grenfell wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:04 amI can see why that particular idea hasn't taken off , $700 for what is basically a set of stackable boxes.
Yikes, I never even looked at the price tag :shock: I reckon there's DIY ways to do that.
If we are talking the taking off of insect eating in general then I reckon eating them as recognisable insects will remain something of a niche in the west but if they are processed to look like pies , burgers and sausages then the concept of insect consumption would be far more palatable and easier to swallow ( see what I did there ? I'll get my coat) .
Yes, thats what I was imagining. Your coat is currently with my jacket, we'll leave at the same time, shall we :lol:
Going off on a slight tangent a friend on Facebook posted something that came from somewhere called the Hampton Insitute. They were saying we produce enough for for 10 billion people and could easily double that amount. The meme of it was that the problem is caused by capitalism and we have a profit and distribution system problem. Not to get political here , I can see faults in capitalism and I'm basically a left winger but I found their ideas worrying at best if not dangerously frightening.
I'm also left-wing, though I became totally disillusioned with political expression of that, which joined my disillusion of the political expression of every other idea. Lets just say I think our politics is all broke up :roll: When you say you find their ideas worrying - do you mean about 10 - 20 billion people on the planet being fine? Because thats worrying as all getout to me :( adequate feeding is not the main issue in that, but having some of the planet left for the other fauna, and the flora too. Plus jansman's goats. Because, GOATS!!! I love goats :) Not as much as I love cats, but still 8-)
Interesting! I wouldn't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater in terms of traditional academia (if I have a broken leg, I want somebody trained in traditional academia to set it, for instance) but there's a very particular way some academics talk/ write, and a way that that's used, to shut out other people, who aren't taken at all seriously. In the last couple of years, I've had two examples myself, of private conversations with academics coming on here who've been pretty dismissive, even without the purposely constructed language barriers. So I can see where the Hampton Inst lot might have some good notions.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Yes it's the idea of 10-20 billion people on the planet being fine that I find worrying . It's probably doable but what the quality of life would be with finite resources spread ever wifder isany body's guess and how many species are we going to lose on the way. And the question that is rarely if ever answered in these cases is when is the figure too many. If the population does get 20B and is still rising ( and let's not forget population growth is exponential) do the same people who championed the idea of population growth then have to reverse track and promote controls on population?
I'm in my mid fifties now but ouldn't surprise me at all if we are approaching the 10B figure before I peg it.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Brings to mind the whole "Survival is insufficient" idea. What about the quality of life?
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Arzosah wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:54 pm
Not doing it for me, sorry. But hang on, perhaps on a Pizza or in a Burger?????? Maybe, just maybe........ :lol:
Attachments
Pizza Anyone.jpg
Arwen The Bard

Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Burger Anyone.jpg
Arwen The Bard

pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Sorry, too many carbs for me in both pics :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.