Re-purpose fish tanks?

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
peejay

Re-purpose fish tanks?

Post by peejay »

I should hopefully be moving house soon and have been having a good clear out as you can imagine though it does go against my hoarding tendencies! :-)

One thing I've had lurking around in the lock-up garage for years is a couple of fish tanks (one above the other in a purpose-made metal stand) from our fish-keeping days.

Can anyone think of a vaguely sensible reason to keep them? Anything preppy I can do with them regards water, e.g. perhaps a pre-filter for seriously nasty water (with perhaps an aquarium filter with all levels down to charcoal) to work with the nastiest water prior to dropping into a Berkey or similar?

If no great ideas then I'll likely gift them on the local boards, just want to make sure I'm not missing a trick (I have WAY more room at the new house than I do here so I don't /have/ to get rid, but I will have to move them if I keep them.

[Edit: BTW the tanks are, from memory, about 70L each]
jansman

Re: Re-purpose fish tanks?

Post by jansman »

I am purging possessions at the moment. We own way too much stuff here. So I would say, get rid.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Turn it into a mini green house for herbs and such.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

If you decided to grow microgreens in the house (during a winter pandemic when you still wanted fresh greens, for instance) you could use it for the greens themselves, or you could use it as a reservoir for the nutrient water, if you were growing them without soil.

Congratulations on the move!
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Good series here, put some fish in one, use the fish to fertilise the plants and the plants to clean then fish water.

https://youtu.be/P3gtNKRRVjA
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
peejay

Post by peejay »

The new house actually has a greenhouse already so we're covered on that front but Hydroponics could be interesting, hmm...