New to the prepping world!

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Keves0801

New to the prepping world!

Post by Keves0801 »

Hi everyone,

I have started gathering in medical and weapon supplies in the event of an economic collapse, which I fear is looming!

I figured I would stockpile on these items first, as I could see a time when basic weapons will be outlawed in the UK very soon.

I am wanting to know more about long term good storage. I have read about freeze dried foods, but these are incredibly expensive. I was wondering if I could get some suggestions on how to store food that would last 5+ years. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys 😃
Yorkshire Andy

Re: New to the prepping world!

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Welcome..

Please read the forum rules regarding weapons as we avoid the subject on here as there are too many legalitys to contend with, what you do in your own home is your choice but even a screwdriver in a car door pocket can land you in hot water......... You want to try and avoid close contact with hoards of zombies at all costs..

As for food storage and medical stuff the like you've come to the right place :)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
HomeHardener

Post by HomeHardener »

Welcome!
I’m also fairly new to the prepping world and also to this forum.
You’ll find some great Information if you scroll through the individual sections.

I read an article, I can’t remember if it was on this site or just the web.
It consisted of food storage and expiry dates on food. The idea is as long as you have a can that’s not damaged (to ensure it as no air leaks to spoil the food) has been kept Out of direct sunlight and not exposed to extreme temperature variations.
That the tinned foods especially, will last years past their printed expiry date.
I know a lot of preppers have taken to making their own dehydrated foods too.
Also you could always try growing your food too, obviously you may be limited based on space, time and climate.
@Homehardening_uk
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

HomeHardener wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:59 pm Welcome!
I’m also fairly new to the prepping world and also to this forum.
You’ll find some great Information if you scroll through the individual sections.
Hi Welcome HH.
Yes. Tinned food is almost perfect several years after the printed BBE date, 3 years past wouldn't bother most preppers at all. 5-7 years past, expect some degradation. After that, you may be in bad food territory. Read he posts here about stock rotation.

This being prepared malarky is an ever learning experience. It also becomes an addictive way of life very quickly.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Welcome to the forum! In relation to medical supplies too, there's a lot of developments - about resuscitation, about what to put on wounds, all sorts of things, and lots of research to back it all up. It's a fascinating topic, and herbs are right in there too. As has been said, hop over to each part of the forum and see what gives :)
General DeGaulle

Post by General DeGaulle »

If your main concern is economic collapse, maybe you could consider buying 'junk' silver coins or gold sovereigns which will continue to be tradeable when the paper stuff we call money returns to its intrinsic value of absolutely nothing. The term 'junk silver' is a bit of a misnomer - pre 1920 silver coins are bona fide sterling silver (92.5 per cent purity) and are widely available on ebay. Currently a fairly worn shilling from, say, 1915 will cost about a fiver.