What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
Arzosah

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by Arzosah »

diamond lil wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 7:50 am I got a new kitchen a few months back, HA put it in - but am finding it has a lot less storage space.
Thats annoying, though a new kitchen on the HA (health authority?) is great! My extra space comes from having a four burner hob and oven, not a 5 burner, plus having the chimney knocked out and a pair of steels put in the ceiling to hold the house up :mrgreen: Plus a proper kitchen cupboard, not a vertical CD rack :lol: to hold my tins.
Going to eat down the stash this summer then fill up again before 31st Oct and the BBBBB word that I won't type cos am sick of it :mrgreen:
It's unbearable, isn't it! This week, I've been trying out the frozen foods that I defrosted and dehydrated - some seem to be fine, but others weren't dehydrated enough, and there's a little clump of mould, so I threw the whole (half litre box) out. Good lesson on what to do for the future. Plus I've just checked the sizing of my new sink, and its as I thought - big enough to take my dehydrator shelves, a quick soak and a quick wash, and they're done - finding something big enough to soak them in had been a bit of an issue :shock:
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Better finding mould now rather than when the shops are shut.
HA=Housing Association. We get the choice of colours and finishes and handles and also get floor vinyl and splashbacks so it's worth a slight reduction in cupboard space. Our HA is very good.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Tested the smoke alarms simple prep that gets overlooked week after week.........
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 9:20 pm Tested the smoke alarms simple prep that gets overlooked week after week.........
Alarms here,now tested.Great point Andy.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Bit random & not strictly prepping but made me chuckle
Attachments
FB_IMG_1558956796112.jpg
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 7:10 am
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 9:20 pm Tested the smoke alarms simple prep that gets overlooked week after week.........
Even better and you don't tell the other half and they come up stairs to investigate... ;)

peejay

Post by peejay »

Nurseandy wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 11:36 am Bit random & not strictly prepping but made me chuckle
Actually it could prove a useful deterrent should the hoards come knocking... ;-)
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Oh, I just cook toast and they test themselves :oops:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 6:43 pm
Oh, I just cook toast and they test themselves :oops:

:lol:

Take it you have the older ionisation alarms fitted they are very sensitive and prone to false alarms when cooking... (Easy to check open and look for the radiation symbol on the little black sensor

There a Verity if newer units that are a bit more complex and monitor air temperature and smoke particles far less susceptible to cooking smoke..

Eg

https://www.fireangel.co.uk/products/st-625

Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Gave a dutch oven another reproofing after a wee overnighter last weekend, had to give it a bit of a scrape to shift some ingrained 'crud' so thought I'd play it safe. Other than that, been pretty quiet, a bit of dehydrating, a bit of organising gear, nothing too rock n roll.