Stash in a flat garage roof

How are you preparing
jennyjj01

Stash in a flat garage roof

Post by jennyjj01 »

May be of use to some.
When looking for space for my next stash, I had a brainwave....

The flat garage roof is supported by big joists. I figured that volume of unused space was prime real estate for my stash.

So, a few pieces of contiboard later and there's 'shelving' for another few hundred cans of beans. Dead simple job, cheap as chips as B&Q were giving the furniture board off-cuts away. Just needed a few 2" screws and up it went.
Each section of shelf holds 49 x 400 g cans and by leaving access to both sides I can do First in First out stock rotation.

Caveat 1 Yes - I need to use steps but that's no big deal.
Caveat 2 - Needs to be a waterproof roof.
Caveat 3 - the min-max thermometer says it gets very warm up there.

If it gets too hot there, I'll probably dump some other 'treasure' up there and bring the food down to whatever shelves I liberate from that.

Obsessed? Moi? :D
IMG_20190511_161902.jpg
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
pseudonym

Re: Stash in a flat garage roof

Post by pseudonym »

I found the fluctuation in temp sped up rusting on my tins so brought all mine back into the house. :cry:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

pseudonym wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 3:55 pm I found the fluctuation in temp sped up rusting on my tins so brought all mine back into the house. :cry:
Thanks. Yes that may be an issue though I could perhaps mitigate that by spraying with cooking oil ( I did consider wd40 :) )

I'll monitor the temperature with one of these... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Temperature-Re ... r_1_1_sspa

Hmmmm. Does anyone have stats on the deterioration of canned foods when the ambient temperature is either hot or fluctuating dramatically?

Hmmmmmmmm, 100 degrees F seems a recommended limit https://extension.umn.edu/preserving-an ... anned-food

Maybe time for plan B.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

That space might still be useable for some things, Jenny - disposable plates and cutlery etc, used and cleaned glass jars ready and waiting for the next use. Salt? You couldn't store vinegar there, but your salt shouldn't be affected in quality. Spare textiles? Everything would have to be protected from mice etc, of course.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Arzosah wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 6:31 pm That space might still be useable for some things,
Indeed it will be.
If nothing else, I can relocate my lifetime stash of cleaning products, fire making and cooking kit, bulky survival hardware, etc.
That will liberate more food friendly shelves and cupboards for the beans.

jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Arzosah wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 6:31 pm That space might still be useable for ... used and cleaned glass jars ready and waiting for the next use.
I wonder if you'd noticed the hundred or so beer bottles on the shelf to the left of the picture :D

jansman

Post by jansman »

Good use of space. Depending on what you stash, just make sure the load - bearing capacity is adequate, especially if it’s only 2” screws between your head and half a million tins of beans :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 8:22 pm
Arzosah wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 6:31 pm That space might still be useable for ... used and cleaned glass jars ready and waiting for the next use.
I wonder if you'd noticed the hundred or so beer bottles on the shelf to the left of the picture :D
Damn, I didn't enlarge it till just now :lol:

My little brick shed attached to the house can now store lots more, because I have a few wall cupboards in there now, sitting on the floor. Spare flowerpots, galvanised mop bucket, a rocket stove, tiny gel stove, stuff like that - could be important, but of no great value. It's surprising how bulky this stuff is.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 8:02 pm
Arzosah wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 6:31 pm That space might still be useable for some things,
Indeed it will be.
If nothing else, I can relocate my lifetime stash of cleaning products, fire making and cooking kit, bulky survival hardware, etc.
That will liberate more food friendly shelves and cupboards for the beans.
More space is more space. Looks like you've turned 'dead space' into storage. Kudos.

As others have said, you'll maybe need to be careful what you use it for but you've earmarked stuff for it. Again, kudos.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I've made a similar use of the ceiling in my garage although we don't use it for food , it's more tent poles and the like but as said that frees up space elseware .