Ready-seasoned wood?

Homes and Retreats
Medusa

Re: Ready-seasoned wood?

Post by Medusa »

We are lucky enough to have a very regular supply of pallets which are delivered to us for free. An ex employer who has to pay to have them removed as even offering them free outside their premises saw them continue to pile up decided it was worth the hassle. Breaking them up is time consuming, but still better than paying for logs although obviously they burn much faster. Ask if they are willing to include them in the sale as moving them in preparation for a move would be a bit of a pain to them. Hubby is also lucky enough in his work role to come across lots of clients who have had trees felled and will be given the wood in return for shifting it. We did an exchange for an item we wanted rid of last year in return for a load of logs, but certainly wouldn't be prepared under normal circumstances to pay for wood. Our whole reason for using log burners is to save money, much cheaper than paying for extra oil to heat the house.
Growing old disgracefully!
jansman

Post by jansman »

... that’s the way to do it! :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
peejay

Post by peejay »

Got the details of fixtures/fittings from the vendor today & they've offered the wood store & wood for £50 which seems fair to me, he mentioned when I viewed that the wood store contained about a winter's worth of wood. I won't push my luck but he might even end up leaving some of the unsplit wood too.

I've also noticed a house down the road from current house has a huge pile of shut-down tree stacked up in the front garden! If I had somewhere to store it now I'd knock & ask them if they wanted it taking away so I definitely can see the sense in keeping an eye out for such opportunities once I'm in a position to take advantage of them (plenty of space at the new place!)