What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by jansman »

Deeps wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 8:16 pm
diamond lil wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 6:40 pm I don't do stress. Not worth the hassle as everything sorts itself out anyway :mrgreen:
Easier said than done sometimes Lil, I'm generally laid back but still find myself betting 'stressed' mostly over stupid or minor things but its still stress. My missus is a born worrier though, that's just another way of saying she gets stressed.
Peace of mind HAS to be the most underrated human state.In my case,stress is generally work related ( I had to put a manager's hat on all of last week :( ).Family stuff is always there,and is dealt with accordingly.

The big stuff,like asteroid strikes and economic collapse,don't even get a look-in in my head.It's just the daily sh%t that ups the blood pressure!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 6:51 am
Peace of mind HAS to be the most underrated human state.In my case,stress is generally work related ( I had to put a manager's hat on all of last week :( ).Family stuff is always there,and is dealt with accordingly.

The big stuff,like asteroid strikes and economic collapse,don't even get a look-in in my head.It's just the daily sh%t that ups the blood pressure!
Pretty sure I've said it before on here but when I joined my local doctors practise about 6 months after leaving the mob and my blood pressure had gone from being borderline high to "the blood pressure of a young man" which was a pleasant surprise. I thought I'd been doing a good job of keeping my stress levels down, probably just pushing stuff to the back of my mind though. As you say, peace of mind is priceless and there's definitely no point worrying about stuff you have no control over but if that's the way you're built then you'll do it anyway, my missus isn't happy unless she's got something to worry about. Weirdo. :lol:
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

I bought a new dining table and chairs - one that's actually usable. The one I had was far too big and unwieldy and I couldn't move it to get people around it, it took up far too much space in the dining area, and eventually became a dumping ground (don't they always!) - stupid online purchase! So now I've got a much smaller, round table I can use not only for dining and working at,I can actually use it as a sewing table too - yes, I've bought a sewing machine too, so I can do my own clothing repairs/alterations (once I've practiced a bit). The sum total of the dining set and the (brand new) sewing machine was only 80 quid!

Not only that, but the old, giant table has been recycled by my friend who is going to use it as an outdoor table and chairs in her garden, once she's recovered the chairs in some waterproof fabric. All in all, a pretty fruitful week. Happy itsy. :D
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

itsybitsy wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:25 pm I bought a new dining table and chairs - one that's actually usable. The one I had was far too big and unwieldy and I couldn't move it to get people around it, it took up far too much space in the dining area, and eventually became a dumping ground (don't they always!) - stupid online purchase! So now I've got a much smaller, round table I can use not only for dining and working at,I can actually use it as a sewing table too - yes, I've bought a sewing machine too, so I can do my own clothing repairs/alterations (once I've practiced a bit). The sum total of the dining set and the (brand new) sewing machine was only 80 quid!

Not only that, but the old, giant table has been recycled by my friend who is going to use it as an outdoor table and chairs in her garden, once she's recovered the chairs in some waterproof fabric. All in all, a pretty fruitful week. Happy itsy. :D
Good old sewing machine remember at school we each got plonked in front of one and told to watch the teacher thread one up..... Well my mother has the same machine I threaded it up whilst she waffled on .... She came storming over banging on the desk to pay attention... So I sat there watching her step by step not following instructions to pull thread round here up there... Back she came looked at the threaded machine and stormed off :D

I'm no expert at it but I can join bits together ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I got hold of an electric sewing machine last year, haven't used it yet as I was readying myself for the kitchen renovation.

I've seen another way of forming fabric, though, at a local craft show: using a peg loom! Absolutely wonderful! I have arthritis in my fingers, and knitting was always going to be a no-goer, though I kept my knitting gear Just In Case. Peg looming, though, seems fast, versatile, and doesn't strain any joints of mine that can't do their thing any more.

Kitchen renovation seems to be everything I want, though I hope the timing isn't off and the apocalypse is happening tomorrow - I'm stuffed if thats the case :mrgreen:
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Well I have to say that today I'm stressed :evil: Damn bloody laptop screen turned pink and died, so had to dig out the old one that runs on Wind7 and is tiny and slow as hell :evil:
Ohmmmmmmmm!!!
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

diamond lil wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 1:01 pm Well I have to say that today I'm stressed :evil: Damn bloody laptop screen turned pink and died, so had to dig out the old one that runs on Wind7 and is tiny and slow as hell :evil:
Ohmmmmmmmm!!!
Ohmmmmmmmmmm ing right along with you, Lil.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Arzosah wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:02 pm
diamond lil wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 1:01 pm Well I have to say that today I'm stressed :evil: Damn bloody laptop screen turned pink and died, so had to dig out the old one that runs on Wind7 and is tiny and slow as hell :evil:
Ohmmmmmmmm!!!
Ohmmmmmmmmmm ing right along with you, Lil.
Ohmm-Whiskey-mmmm :lol:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Added another 25l food grade water container and ordered a tap to fit

So that's 50l plus about 30l in 5l shop bottles (square in Morrisons they stack better than Tesco's round ones). Plus numerous 2l bottles behind the kickboards in the kitchen...

Tidied garden was getting a bit wild (good for a intruder to hide) and replaced solar fence lights (another plain sight prep as low level back up lighting incase if a power cut (to go with the torches / lantern /12v battery ermm I think I have a light fettish!

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

IMG_20190517_211727400_HDR.jpg
in

Oh and most of my free time going to the allotment at the moment since f##king tax credits have ballsed up our payments apparently we owe them £1800! From overpayment even though we know our figures we have them were correct!!
So it's going to be a good top up on our cash restricted weekly shop :(

IMG_20190513_202525322_HDR.jpg