"wildfire risk" extremely high..

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

"wildfire risk" extremely high..

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Those of you who have seen the news will have seen the high fire risks and associated wild fires more notably locally ish in Ilkley moor (relative was up there fighting it....

Got me thinking about last summer where the fire service attended the wasteland behind our house due to arson / disposal of a cigarette resulting in a small fire in the open.....

During / immediately after that I used one of the prep flood pumps and pumped about 2000l of water over the fence (kids big paddling pool) and we had a little green oasis of weeds / brambles but less risk of immediate fire getting to the outbuildings due to the hedge and weeds been "green"
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Re: "wildfire risk" extremely high..

Post by jansman »

You make a VERY good point there Andy.I have a bramble ' jungle ' next to me.If that went up ( never came onto my radar!),we could potentially lose my workshop and the Summer house,tunnel and greenhouse,not to mention the animals.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Here in the Highlands wildfires happen every year so we have to be thoughtful about it. I have a pile of garden waste needing burnt, mostly shrub trimming from over the winter, did try to burn it earlier but it was too wet. Thought about it a few days ago when it had been dry but decided it was too risky in the heat and there was a breeze. over the fence of my back garden is thousands of acres of trees, heather, scrub. I dread to think how much damage I could do, mind you it would put paid to my tick problem ! :twisted:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:35 am You make a VERY good point there Andy.I have a bramble ' jungle ' next to me.If that went up ( never came onto my radar!),we could potentially lose my workshop and the Summer house,tunnel and greenhouse,not to mention the animals.
We are on water rates so like last night after dark I sat the sprinkler on the shed roof and left it a good 40 minutes it's one of the below so it's reasonablly directional
91BS aujPsL._SL1500_.jpg

diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Couple of big fires on now up in Moray and Lochaber.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Local fire service website listed about 10 different fires on grass land yesterday alone! and that isn't moorland
Screenshot_20190423-210944.png

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well finally got a reel for the allotment I've now got another hose which will reach the house incase of fire be it in or out our allotment is 80m from home and the allotment standpipe is less than 20m away from our garden hop a few / go through a fence and I'm at the back of the house...

diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Bought a safe for under the floorboards. The pile under the mattress was making the bed too high.
Aye. Right :lol:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well just to bring this back to the fore....

Dad looked out bavk of his yesterday evening there was a fire less than 4 ft from his back fence spreading fairly quick due to the wind (dry grass and rubbish / kids bonfire)

Queue what could only be described as a bench hill show moment :lol:

Dad sends mum to get garage keys .. 65 yo in slip on slippers she can move :lol:

She returns with the keys.. dad's reccied the fire and gets step Ladders out of garage whilst mum runs back to fetch a bucket of water ...

Can't get the bucket over the fence ..

Lady to the side shouts she's called the fire service..

Then dad goes for the hose and managed to extinguish the fire before trumpton arrive and was damping down by the time they'd cut the access gates locks off..

Was kids "playing".....

Half expecting them to return tonight bored kids et all preps have been pulled out of storage...
Attachments
Screenshot_20220628-141817.png

GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

Yorkshire Andy great points there ...BTW watched the ilkley fires many a time ..idiots and barbecues main cause horrible to see your relative must be sick to death of it
My neighbours house went up a couple weeks ago burning candles
But my next door neighbours are demented..nails in everything we had most of northern power grid on street as the maniac had nailed through his blooming meter
Big hedges ...dont speak ..none of this everyone coming together in covid here 😂
But massive reminder that the hoses in the garden need replacing
Next job ..specially when it comes to winter ...and this lot next door are great candidates for setting everything on fire even though I am on a water meter I may have to use the hoses ....
I can deal with my stuff ..cant educate the rest 🙄