Self Build to include a bunker

Homes and Retreats
gooner677

Self Build to include a bunker

Post by gooner677 »

Hi all

Thought I would throw this open for debate.

Thinking about selling up in a couple of years and when we move we might build our own house.

I am thinking of having an underground room(s) which will double as a bunker/panic room/study.

I am hoping to get it added to the construction for an extra 10k. That won't include fitting it out.

What construction would you all opt for if you had the chance the build one from scratch as part of a house build? What extras would you ensure were installed as part if the construction?

Can't decide if it should be brick/concrete or metal.

Any thoughts? This is in the dream stage and will be a couple of years before I speak to an architect!

Thanks
Area 4
korolev

Re: Self Build to include a bunker

Post by korolev »

I went to a place in Brighton a few years ago to mend the phone. They had a bunker under the house that the previous owner had put in. The current owner was a bit "meh" about it but showed me it because I always had an interest in underground stuff.
It was a room about 12x20 feet with rendered walls and a pretty sturdy metal door. It had a small kitchen at one end and a separate toilet/shower room.
At one end was a metal "hatch" which she told me was an angled tunnel full of shingle which came out on the driveway (driveway was one of those made of two strips of concrete with shingle between them.

If you're gonna do it, make it useable for other stuff, maybe a kids playroom or a home cinema.
gooner677

Post by gooner677 »

Exactly what I Thought. A study or cinema room would be ideal
Area 4
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

We lived in Europe where basements are pretty normal features with all new builds and they don't cost too much over standard semi-elevated foundations. Apart from a general purpose room below stairs we included a concrete rainwater storage tank, so there was no danger of freezing as it wasn't technically "outside" and only we knew about it. Also a walk in pantry / cold store which we really miss.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

As part of a panic room situation, yes, metal door and frame at the very least. I've seen that everywhere from London council flats to a relative's safe room in a war.

How it's used during normal times: I stayed in a big detached house in Switzerland for a little while, and their basement had sets of shelves for fruit storage, like this https://www.antiques-atlas.com/antique/ ... /as186a582 but more open. Though if you were using it regularly, thats not good enough for fruit storage. It could be in separate parts, though. You have lots of options, very interesting :)
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Really miss my cellar. It had space for storage, and space for a workbench. Bit low to work in though as I used to regularly crack my head.
Lone

Post by Lone »

I’ve only seen panic rooms portrayed in films, I liked the concept, but at the same time if anyone is claustrophobic in could be a big problem, like hiding in a safe...personally I’d not like the trapped feeling, as space is limited.

I’d like a sort of panic room...that has the option of a ‘panic room escape’ namely a secret way out not through the house, opening out in a hidden location in the garden, that way there is no chance of being stuck in a windowless box, the only way out being the same way in.
korolev

Post by korolev »

Lone wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:24 pm I’ve only seen panic rooms portrayed in films, I liked the concept, but at the same time if anyone is claustrophobic in could be a big problem, like hiding in a safe...personally I’d not like the trapped feeling, as space is limited.

I’d like a sort of panic room...that has the option of a ‘panic room escape’ namely a secret way out not through the house, opening out in a hidden location in the garden, that way there is no chance of being stuck in a windowless box, the only way out being the same way in.
One type of "emergency escape" is an angled tunnel filled with shingle coming up in the garden; Open the hatch, shingle all runs out and you climb the tunnel to experience the apocalypse first hand
Lone

Post by Lone »

I guess I’d be the same in a submarine, wanting a large window open to let some air in...while submerged ! :shock:

I believe all protective locations need an out...the less known about the better...that way if you were witnessed going inside by non-group members, the latter might think you’re still inside, constantly watching the same entry/exit point...when you may already be long gone...unseen.

Getting trapped by accident anywhere can happen...but getting trapped by your own choice...sounds like madness...and I’m not the most sane person to begin with
Raven

Post by Raven »

Lone wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:20 pm I believe all protective locations need an out...the less known about the better...that way if you were witnessed going inside by non-group members, the latter might think you’re still inside, constantly watching the same entry/exit point...when you may already be long gone...unseen.

Getting trapped by accident anywhere can happen...but getting trapped by your own choice...sounds like madness...and I’m not the most sane person to begin with
Yes, didn't we ALL learn our lesson in that when we watched Lord of the Rings 2 - The one with a battle at the castle - Spoiler alert - any non-fighting personnel were all trapped in the dungeon with no way out!

Remember even one escape route is not enough, 1 is none, and all that. So long as people can't get in that way or easily in - booby traps! so you'd know about it. I mean here is the perfect opportunity to include well-designed features aka multiple escape routes for different scenarios.
Keep calm & carry on PREPPING :twisted: