Nuclear Bunker for sale

Homes and Retreats
cavealaska

Re: Nuclear Bunker for sale

Post by cavealaska »

the-gnole wrote:Has anyone else ever been down into one of these three roomed bunkers? they are "interesting" :lol:
I have not been down one of the small ones but I have been in a very large one, with massive blast door and the capability of a small town way of life, under ground for 3 months with food supplies, i think the hospital had about 60 beds in it, and it slept my full platoon with much room to spare. and I cant say where it is lol. but if the SHTF i'll give you the heads up
Ian

Post by Ian »

I was an officer in the ROC, responsible for a 'cluster' of five posts and the 50ish people who manned them. Fairly well designed for their time and being upgraded with radios and ventilation filters when the corps was stood down. They could support three observers for ten days. After that I suspect you would have a bond for life. The job was to observe the fall of weapons so the Government knew what was happening and respond, fallout spread and intensity, a weather service, local reconnaissance and control aftermath recovery. So survival of an attack was necessary.

They were designed to withstand nuclear attack of an over pressure of 15PSI as well as fallout. They had a natural ventilation system, not forced, but would be shut down (sealed) during attack and the peak fallout. Observers were expected to receive a maximum of the WED, Wartime Emergency Dose, of 100 rads of radiation and the posts were designed to protect to keep the expected doses below that level.

Later on I also designed larger civilian shelters for a while so, if you want one, let me know. I will knock a couple of thousand off of my fee.

As an Emergency Planning Officer I ran a County EOC which was not bomb hardened but fallout protected with capacity for 20 people for a month and capable of running all of the services in the County under war conditions with sophisticated comms, data gathering and recording. It was the hub of decision making for all emergencies in the County, peace and war.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

IanM wrote: Later on I also designed larger civilian shelters for a while so, if you want one, let me know. I will knock a couple of thousand off of my fee.
So, how much for one of these, taking into account 'Preppers Mates Rates'! :lol:

http://www.terravivos.com/secure/solution.htm
Ian

Post by Ian »

1,000 people for one year, I strongly doubt is such an item exists or ever will. Cost today from scratch, Billions. Perhaps a million or two to convert a surplus ROTOR site to carry 300 for 3-4 months, if you could keep them sane.

Cost is massively dependent on requirements, just defining the spec. would take many days, even for something very simple. The choices are many and varied, threat, population, protection, style of living, area of country, service life and on and on. Simple questions, "Do you need a bursting slab" might even take a day's work to sort and a week to design. Building the thing is easy in comparison.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

They have actually built one in California for around 100 people and are taking $50k off people who want to 'book' their place. Kids go half price... :mrgreen:
Ian

Post by Ian »

All the real photos and video are of an old, empty but good condition shelter which I think was the support barracks for a missile silo site. The photos of the tarted up accommodation are all computer generated. It looks like a scam and I can find no proof that they have sold any bookings. I wonder who would put money into an empty unfinished project?

I wonder why there are no real photos of the accommodation, beds, food supplies etc?
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

IanM wrote: I wonder who would put money into an empty unfinished project?
Americans with more money than sense... :lol:
Attack Warning Red

Post by Attack Warning Red »

I love those old ROC posts. My nearest one is a couple of towns away. There was one closed, but was filled-in years ago.
bulldogeagle

Post by bulldogeagle »

would love one of these, but none in my area, all the ROC posts are just that-wooden post in the ground nothing more.
Ian

Post by Ian »

There are still a fair number of intact posts around but 'lost'.

The definitive guide to the locations of the posts was supposed to be a book called "Attack Warning Red" which lists all the posts in its annex. For some reason many posts were miss-located. That list has been repeated and reused and the mistakes continue. Many posts are correctly located in Subterranea Britannica but not all by any means.

It is quite good fun to try and locate the missing posts and not too difficult to locate them. They all had good views, so on the top of hills is good and the majority had overhead telephone lines and the old poles are usually left standing, even if the post has been crushed. Views on Google earth often show a scar like a Roman settlement and for relaxation asking in the local pub often yields someone who knows the location.

You were never more than about nine miles from a post, keep looking, industrial archaeology at its best.