Fire lighting.

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Nurseandy

Fire lighting.

Post by Nurseandy »

Now, this may get light heartedly controversial but its something I've always wondered about - why bother taking Maya dust, tinder, magnesium rods etc etc when if you're going prepared why not just take a box of firelighters?
Dont get me wrong - the skill, knowledge & ability to light a fire from scratch is fundamental and something I practice but if you're going to be prepared & take fire lighting supplies why not just take quick n easy firelighters? Genuinely interested in peoples thoughts,
Thanks.
Deeps

Re: Fire lighting.

Post by Deeps »

I'm with you on it, my primary method of lighting a fire is....... a lighter. In my 'fire kit' I've got stormproof matches, tampons, vaselined eye pads etc and shock horror... no birch bark. I do have a ferro rod and a pencil sharpener right enough.

I enjoy 'playing' at fires but if I'm out walking or camping and not in the mood to dick around I keep it simple.
hedgerowpete

Post by hedgerowpete »

I am truely shocked, a fire post with common sence and reality in it. i dont know if its a wind up or a serious discussion.

I am with you two. fire lighting basics every time, its good to have a second or third option. i favour MOD lifeboat matchs and then for me its permanganate and glycerin. i have a ferro rod thingy somewhere, but its of little use to me, fire by friction is a great skill to have but i have never been that bothered with it
jansman

Post by jansman »

I am totally in agreement.I carry a fag lighter as EDC.We have woodstoves,so I always need one.In my get home kit is my old- school ' survival tin.In it are all the bits and bobs,with a fag lighter and a flint steel thingy.Its only there as back up,and ' cos it takes no room.I packed the tin with drier lint to stop rattling,so that is tinder sorted.Matches are only used in the house for the fires.Gotta keep it simple.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Prepping_Al

Post by Prepping_Al »

I believe matches/lighters and fire lighters should be your first port of call as a prepper. This gets you through the initial shtf when one less hassle could be important for survival. Once these run out other fire lighting skills will be needed. So both will have their uses depending on what you are prepping for.

Personally I just like having the ability to light a fire using random techniques now and then they have come in handy yes I'm a bit of a pyro lol
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

hedgerowpete wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:05 pm I am truely shocked, a fire post with common sence and reality in it. i dont know if its a wind up or a serious discussion.

I am with you two. fire lighting basics every time, its good to have a second or third option. i favour MOD lifeboat matchs and then for me its permanganate and glycerin. i have a ferro rod thingy somewhere, but its of little use to me, fire by friction is a great skill to have but i have never been that bothered with it
I enjoy a play with birch bark and ferro rods etc but its far from my 'go to'. I was proud of myself the first time I managed to start a fire with 'the basics' and I've done it plenty times since, playing at it but give me a jet lighter and a fire lighter/vaseline soaked pad every time when I'm doing it 'for real'.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

"I am truely shocked, a fire post with common sence and reality in it. i dont know if its a wind up or a serious discussion."

Hedgerowpete - no, its not a wind up, it was a genuine enquiry and I'm reassured that a number of people agree.
Just for reference I have a disposable lighter alongside my ferro steel and i've taught my kids how to light a fire with friction but equally I've taught them the importance of using the most appropriate technology/technique for the situation.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

"I am truely shocked, a fire post with common sence and reality in it. i dont know if its a wind up or a serious discussion."

Hedgerowpete - no, its not a wind up, it was a genuine enquiry and I'm reassured that a number of people agree.
Just for reference I have a disposable lighter alongside my ferro steel and i've taught my kids how to light a fire with friction but equally I've taught them the importance of using the most appropriate technology/technique for the situation.
jansman

Post by jansman »

There is a reference to the last surviving member of a native American tribe being caught stealing meat from a Chicago slaughterhouse,in a book by Cody Lundin.He was taken in by a teacher,if memory serves me.A year later he was interviewed by the local paper.He was asked what he liked most about the modern world.His reply was, " matches". His tribe had struggled to make fire with primitive methods.The moral? Why struggle? Use the easiest way possible.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
unsure

Post by unsure »

i usually have at least one fag lighter to hand , a couple in my fishing box and at least one in the car .
i do have a couple of ferro rods and a blast match or two around the house some were .
all my kit i usually keep in the landrover is stored away for the time being ,but theres all ways more than 3 ways to start a fire in it .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .