Go too books

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
old age prepper 70

Go too books

Post by old age prepper 70 »

Below is a list of my go too books.
1 St Johns Ambulance First aid manual.
2 Camping and wilderness survival by Paul Tawrell.
3 Mountain navigation by Peter Cliff.
4 Collins Gem Food for free.
5 Collins Wild flowers.
6 Collins Insects.
7 Concise guide to British birds.
hedgerowpete

Re: Go too books

Post by hedgerowpete »

saint john first aid too.- I have a few others i use more often but its still worthy of its shelf space

LDS -has to be my second choice.

Brought the whole David Crossley series of books as well as the LUdlow survivor group books, if theres any book to buy first after first aid and stores it has to be awarness books, bugging in and bugging out and streetcraft

I have a couple of Radnor Benson books that I use a lot for reference.

Ball blue book for canning

dehydrator bible book

wine books - from Prof, Gerry Fowles, Bryan Acton, Peter Duncan.

weapons/self defence -i use Paladin books

My plant id books are a little more OTT as i have been doing it a lot longer than most

not a great fan of Lofty but can understand why so many love him
I dont do bush craft as i am a prepper and it has nothing of interest for me
hedgerowpete

Post by hedgerowpete »

i will say one thing though thats a great value idea, we all know printed books are better than digital, but books are expensive at times.

Alot of the READER DIGEST books on fleabay and car boots are sold for pennies, alot of them still have valid information in them for gardening and animal husbandry and cookery as well as plant and animal ID
korolev

Post by korolev »

Haynes plumbing manual is useful. Sorting out burst pipes, leaky stop cocks and suchlike.

I used a similar one and have taught myself to competently sort out plumbing and heating woes. Fitted an extra radiator at the weekend, saving me a good few quid.
old age prepper 70

hedgerowpete wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:10 pm saint john first aid too.- I have a few others i use more often but its still worthy of its shelf space

LDS -has to be my second choice.

Brought the whole David Crossley series of books as well as the LUdlow survivor group books, if theres any book to buy first after first aid and stores it has to be awarness books, bugging in and bugging out and streetcraft

I have a couple of Radnor Benson books that I use a lot for reference.

Ball blue book for canning

dehydrator bible book

wine books - from Prof, Gerry Fowles, Bryan Acton, Peter Duncan.

weapons/self defence -i use Paladin books

My plant id books are a little more OTT as i have been doing it a lot longer than most

not a great fan of Lofty but can understand why so many love him
I dont do bush craft as i am a prepper and it has nothing of interest for me
do you mean LDS as in mormon church.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I have a number of the Ragnar Benson books. Very sensible, simple and Old School. However, if you have read a couple, you have read them all!

For down and dirty, physical, staying alive, then it has to ‘ 37.5 degrees- keeping your ass alive’ by Cody Lundin. It will also make you rethink those survival kits. You need less than you think.

Moving towards Self- Reliance, then it has to be John Seymour. Especially ‘The Self Sufficient Gardener’. My most used ‘Go To’ though has to be ‘On Next To Nothing ‘ by Thomas and Susan Hinde. It was a self help book inspired by the 1973 Arab oil embargo.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
hedgerowpete

Post by hedgerowpete »

yes,

LDS

later day saints manual of preparedness 2010, pdf

i mainly goes along the route that to worship god correctly and to well fund your church, its best done if your alive. there fore stock up on food and be a long living paying christian, not that i am a cynic or anything!
as a base book its great to get the house hold in order, food, clothes, dried goods, toiletries and everything else in the house, they give out quantities and volumes and ideas.

theres a pdf link below which is clean and safe

google lds preparedness manual pdf for your own links

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... WdWwR7QFIs
hedgerowpete

Post by hedgerowpete »

jansman wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:27 am I have a number of the Ragnar Benson books. Very sensible, simple and Old School. However, if you have read a couple, you have read them all!

For down and dirty, physical, staying alive, then it has to ‘ 37.5 degrees- keeping your ass alive’ by Cody Lundin. It will also make you rethink those survival kits. You need less than you think.

Moving towards Self- Reliance, then it has to be John Seymour. Especially ‘The Self Sufficient Gardener’. My most used ‘Go To’ though has to be ‘On Next To Nothing ‘ by Thomas and Susan Hinde. It was a self help book inspired by the 1973 Arab oil embargo.

when i started, ragnor books were sent over from the states and the internet did not exit to order them on, lol
seymor is great for many things but does not cover one topic close enough to make it a learning tool
jansman

Post by jansman »

hedgerowpete wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:25 pm [quote=jansman post_id=184830 time=<a href="tel:1552375629">1552375629</a> user_id=140]
I have a number of the Ragnar Benson books. Very sensible, simple and Old School. However, if you have read a couple, you have read them all!

when i started, ragnor books were sent over from the states and the internet did not exit to order them on, lol
seymor is great for many things but does not cover one topic close enough to make it a learning tool
[/quote]

I would disagree. Seymour’s ‘Complete Self Sufficiency ‘, and in particular ‘Self Sufficient Gardener’ was ahead of it’s time. In it he DETAILED the Deep Bed Method. It is what most allotment holders seem to do now in the form of ‘Raised Beds’. It is a spin off of the 19th Century, ‘French Intensive Method’.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
old age prepper 70

Hi Pete, i too have a copy of the LDS preparedness manual, it is amazing the amount of stuff that's listed there,its just a shame that we don't have LDS canneries here.