Very Handy Medical Book.

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
Arzosah

Re: Very Handy Medical Book.

Post by Arzosah »

I don't think you're off topic at all, Arwen - it's exactly that kind of thing the complementary stuff is helpful for. It's not really lifesaving, but it makes a lot of difference to the *quality* of life - itchy scalp, sleeplessness, digestive problems - and even if shtf or something, being free of those sorts of problems can increase efficiency, let alone standard of living.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Sphagnum moss was used for field dressings as it has an antiseptic property. Its also doubles up as great pot scourers when you're out and about too. While I doubt anyone is keen on Rhino horns being used, there are some things that do have proven medicinal properties.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

The power of the mind is the one for me. I've been learning to meditate for a few years now, aiming to help in reducing stress / relaxation towards pain control. A couple of five or ten minutes sessions most days seems to help me.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
jansman

Post by jansman »

Doctor told me years ago ( old Indian chap), that the power of the mind over the body is immense. I was there for stress related problems. His advice was to take up Yoga. I did, and it helped enormously. His parting shot was, “ Rule your mind, or it rules you.” Meditation is another great help.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:32 pm The power of the mind is the one for me. I've been learning to meditate for a few years now, aiming to help in reducing stress / relaxation towards pain control. A couple of five or ten minutes sessions most days seems to help me.

Must admit after a bloody manic day yesterday sat down last night with a cold can and listened to some decent heavy rock for half an hour not slept so well in weeks!
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

diamond lil wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:17 pm "The Practice Of Aromatherapy: Classic Compendium of Plant Medicines and Their Healing Properties"
by Dr Jean Valnet (Author).

Look up this on Amazon, he was a pioneer of aromatherapy and treated war wounds during WW2 with plant and essential oils.
Thanks Lil! I got a copy last week after seeing this. As Arzosah says, the depth of research is really impressive! I've always been a bit interested in aromatherapy. Weirdly, I got back into it after talking to a couple of people at work who are a bit obsessed with it and do scary things like take some of the more potent (read: possibly corrosive) oils internally undiluted :shock: . I decided to stay clear away from that sort of thing and stick with the nice smelly aspect of it! It's a good wellbeing thing for me.

As I get older I'm finding myself leaning towards alternative remedies as an addition to traditional medicine. I visit an osteopath who helps keep my back and shoulders in good order and I top this up with occasional massages. The combination has kept me relatively tension headache free for some time now. I still have all my prescription gubbins for my various ailments, but I'll always keep an eye out for sensible looking alternatives.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Definitely helps to add other strings to the bow ;) and the stuff smells gorgeous too.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I finally bought a copy of the Aromatherapy book yesterday, it's gone up by £3 or so, rats ... never mind though, it's good reference.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Ohh you've reminded me arzosah, I haven't read it yet.