Food Prices Increasing Already?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
featherstick

Re: Food Prices Increasing Already?

Post by featherstick »

There's lots of hidden inflation too - I have sung the praises of Aldi's mature cheddar here before - it used to be a lovely sharp crumbly cheese. Now they are putting gooey flaccid slabs of nondescript crap in the same packet for the same price. The pound is falling against well everything else, plus supermarkets and their suppliers are incurring lots of extra cost at the moment by having to stockpile for Brexit, so they are trying to pass some of that cost on to customers.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Yet another article in today's MSM (Express). Not the worst advice and pantry prepping list i've seen. Will this sort of advice lead to price increases as stocks reduce?

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/10873 ... -stockpile
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
jansman

Post by jansman »

The restaurant manager where I work, had a chat with me about the onions, peppers and mushrooms we use in certain products within the butchery. It’s got to go up. The peppers cost more per kilo than boneless chicken! 28% increase. From Spain.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
nightowl

Post by nightowl »

It's not the food prices increasing that have caught my attention more the getting less for the same price. Chocolate bars are the obvious example.

The other thing I've noticed are supermarkets doing less of their own brand economy products.
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

I wonder when people here will say 'I refuse to pay x amount for that' As jansman indicated, prices ARE jumping quite a bit
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
jansman

Post by jansman »

Stonecarver wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:49 pm I wonder when people here will say 'I refuse to pay x amount for that' As jansman indicated, prices ARE jumping quite a bit
What you say there Stonecarver,sums up why products are smaller,but the same price.The UK population has had VERY cheap food for a long time.Generally,it is seen as a right! They will NOT pay more,simple as that.Problem is,stuff goes up.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:34 pm
Stonecarver wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:49 pm I wonder when people here will say 'I refuse to pay x amount for that' As jansman indicated, prices ARE jumping quite a bit
What you say there Stonecarver,sums up why products are smaller,but the same price.The UK population has had VERY cheap food for a long time.Generally,it is seen as a right! They will NOT pay more,simple as that.Problem is,stuff goes up.
Really not wanting to take this down a political route but its the same with income tax. Parties know that raising the rates will be a vote loser so they have to fiddle around the edges (that's all of them). Food producers are no different, they know people have an 'idea' of how much they want to pay for an item so things get 'tweaked'. I agree that we've had artificially low food prices (on some items) and in fairness, there's a fair few of us eat too much anyway..... :oops:

Its easy to lose track of just how lucky/spoiled/blessed we are to be living in a society that we get so much from. Some might have to keep the car for another year or have one less long weekend away to compensate for the price hikes while others will feel it more.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Bang on Deeps.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

At least those of us with garden / growing space can reduce the impacts of the increases once we start harvesting.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

We can change what we eat, instead of continually paying more for the stuff we're used to. Adapt & survive people! :mrgreen: