What to do with windows in a SHTF situation

Homes and Retreats
nightowl

What to do with windows in a SHTF situation

Post by nightowl »

We've got quite large bay windows facing the street. I wonder if boarding up in a SHTF situation is almost advertising that you're someone prepared who has got stuff in your house worth protecting. Thoughts?
jansman

Re: What to do with windows in a SHTF situation

Post by jansman »

I have large windows at the front.They were formerly sash windows,so sit back in a recess.I do have pre cut boards to fit in those recesses,,if I felt it to be necessary,although it is highly,highly unlikely. How you would do that with a bay though,I would not know.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
hobo

Post by hobo »

nightowl wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:50 am We've got quite large bay windows facing the street. I wonder if boarding up in a SHTF situation is almost advertising that you're someone prepared who has got stuff in your house worth protecting. Thoughts?
Bay windows here too, so we plan to not use the front-facing windows when the sun goes down. Low/no lights in the rest of the house. Measuring up for boards is on my (endless) to-do list! :roll:
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

hobo wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:54 am
Bay windows here too, so we plan to not use the front-facing windows when the sun goes down. Low/no lights in the rest of the house. Measuring up for boards is on my (endless) to-do list! :roll:
What about blackout curtains mate ??? A bit more discreet than boarding up the windows too.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

In the London riots of the 1980s, a lot of shopkeepers boarded over their windows, even though there'd been no riots in the immediate vicinity - that was a fairly logical response, they were already targets because they were, y'know, shops. Another instance that happens all the time, but doesn't get any publicity that I know of - Lewes, in East Sussex, has a huge November 5th celebration (you've probably heard of it to that extent) - a crowd of 30,000 in its tiny, medieval streets isn't at all uncommon, especially as its on Brighton's doorstep - 250,000 people - though the direct trains to Lewes don't run on 5th November precisely because of the overcrowding. And shopkeepers there nearly all board their windows.

So, when its a common thing and everyone does it, for good reasons, you won't stand out. If you're the only one doing it, like the others and you yourself imply, I think you're asking for trouble.

People do have decorative grills - do an image search for that phrase, and you'll find some nice ones - but depending on your house and area, you'll still stand out. A neighbour in a ground floor flat in East London got some after the riots, though they definitely looked like prison bars :(

I wish these things were common in the UK https://www.samsondoors.co.uk/security- ... -for-homes
I've seen them on very ordinary houses all over Western Europe, but they're not a thing over here.

Not letting light escape is the basic, and thats a fair amount of work in itself. Then its about securing the frame of the window/ door - longer length screws. Keeping your windows locked (and the keys available so you can get out in case of fire). But the truth is, any nutter with a few bricks to throw can break your windows, eventually.

To you specifically, nightowl, bay windows - what's outside? Can people walk up to your windows? Is there a fence (asks she, fenceless ... )? You could put a wrought iron supports for windowboxes, maybe? You could even grow plants there that are pretty, and also have a prepperish use. Make it hard to get to the window: its like the cliche of running away from a bear, you just have to be faster than the slowest person in your group :)

HTH
nightowl

Post by nightowl »

It's pretty straight access to them. All that's between them and the pavement is a hardstanding for the car. I think although small walls etc give a visual deterrent in normal circumstances in a crisis situation they'd be next to useless.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

You're right, of course. I suggest a mix of two approaches: the "grey man" approach, of blending into the background (i.e., don't let people think you've got anything they want), and what people talk about with cars, put your stuff in the boot etc (i.e., don't let people *see* you've got anything they want).

Blinds, Venetian or Roman, aren't good enough on their own - if they're even partially open, people can peer through the slats. Mine are solid wood, and when they're closed, they're a good start at blocking light, but they're not enough security on their own, so I have curtains too.

Nets are so out of fashion its not even funny :mrgreen: but tuile has the same effect. If you have them a bit longer, and let drape, then sew weights onto the bottom, you're doing what the Queen does at Buck Palace - anti-bomb/ explosion measures.

I think wrought iron windowbox holders, with prickly plants (roses?) in them might be your best initial defence.

I think wrought iron windowbox holders, with prickly plants (roses?) in them might be your best initial defence. And a lock on the door leading into that room from the rest of the house - seriously, friends of mine in Glasgow, who were disabled, used the locks on their internal doors all the time.
Last edited by Arzosah on Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Double post, sorry.
hobo

Post by hobo »

Deeps wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:05 am What about blackout curtains mate ??? A bit more discreet than boarding up the windows too.
Also on my SHTF to-do list :D
Plenty of everyday preps to concentrate on first.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

hobo wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:05 pm
Deeps wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:05 am What about blackout curtains mate ??? A bit more discreet than boarding up the windows too.
Also on my SHTF to-do list :D
Plenty of everyday preps to concentrate on first.
I'm the same, there are things that I'm aware that I 'could' do but they're waaaaayyyyy do the list. If I needed to hide light coming from my house I'd probably have a few days to organise it before it became an issue.