What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
jennyjj01

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by jennyjj01 »

hobo wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:36 pmHolland & Barrett do dried mince and chunks. I usually wait for a BOGOHP offer before I shop in there - they’re due to have one soon.
I get furious when i look in Holland and Barretts... At their mind-crushingly stupid product naming.

Absolutely Apricots
Delicious dates
Cherished Cranberries
Ginger Gems
Prime Pitted Prunes

Sickening Shitehawks.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
hobo

Post by hobo »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I don't think I could live as a veggie. I hate the bloody things. I dont eat much or often but I do eat meat almost every day. I'm waiting on my son bringing me some wabbits for the freezer.
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:53 pm I don't think I could live as a veggie. I hate the bloody things. I dont eat much or often but I do eat meat almost every day. I'm waiting on my son bringing me some wabbits for the freezer.
I have to say that I like meat,and fish,with a meal.My dear wife is semi - vegetarian,so we have a mix of meals.IF,shtf,then I would just shoot or catch something.Or eat one of my meat rabbits - which I do anyway.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:09 pm This week as I surveyed my vast array of pasta, rice, dried spuds and assorted jars of cooking sauces, i realised i'm just lost on the topic of meat.
I'm filling the newly acquired spare freezer, so there will be SOME meat into a crisis, but I feel the urge for something long term and not in need of freezing.
Tinned meat is part of that and i do have some, but it's not cheap, and quality is an issue...

...So, I bit the bullet and decided to try Soya Mince and Soya Chunks....

But HECK, what's wrong with the big supermarkets. No dried Soya in Tesco, Asda, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. Morrison's web site claims to stock some soya chunks and mince, but they don't stock it in my local superstore.

So, if anyone knows a good source of dried Soya Chunks and Mince, please tell me.

Meanwhile, experimenting with the only stuff I could find, frozen Quorn Soya chunks. Recipes to follow in another post, but for now, just call me Jenny Fartpants.

Also, this week... Destocked the local Tesco of all their Chickpeas, still on offer at £3.50 for 2Kg.
Other half came home chuffed to have stocked up on 2 cheap jars of Kenco. I haven't mentioned the dozen jars I got last week and stashed in the Garage :)

Stockpile is now starting to get conspicuous to 'tother half. Tins and jars in every nook of the kitchen, but also some over-spill in the car, garage, and spare bedroom. My normal hidey holes are backing up. I might have to go for the big reveal sometime soon.
I went to an asian meatshop a while back and they had TRS dried soya mince and also chunks. Which I mylared ;)
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Stonecarver wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:57 pm
I went to an asian meatshop a while back and they had TRS dried soya mince and also chunks. Which I mylared ;)
That's my plan. Just a matter of finding some. Only Mozzer's list them and they had none in stock. Online prices are a bit daft. I'd aspire to pay less than a fiver a kilo. I only know of two 'ethnic' supermarkets that's likely to stock them... Sort of places with cheap ocra and chillis and 20 different kinds of sacks of rice. Will try to visit this week.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

I understand Holland and Barrett sell TVP mince.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:29 pm
Stonecarver wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:57 pm
That's my plan. Just a matter of finding some. Only Mozzer's list them and they had none in stock. Online prices are a bit daft. I'd aspire to pay less than a fiver a kilo. I only know of two 'ethnic' supermarkets that's likely to stock them... Sort of places with cheap ocra and chillis and 20 different kinds of sacks of rice. Will try to visit this week.
Holland and Barratt sell TVP mince.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

itsybitsy wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:35 pm
Thank's... and soya chunks at £5.30 / Kilo.
Not too bad and maybe better when they have their next promo. I just wish I didn't hate their product naming enough to make me want to scream.

itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:44 pm
itsybitsy wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:35 pm
Thank's... and soya chunks at £5.30 / Kilo.
Not too bad and maybe better when they have their next promo. I just wish I didn't hate their product naming enough to make me want to scream.
Product naming is really the least of considerations. ;)