What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
Stonecarver

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by Stonecarver »

I am going to start filling my parents house up with supplies. They are 'just in time'parents. Added bonus being I will have access to a whole lot more of storage space and I am thought well off by parents :D
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:43 pm Fitness and wellness is ranking much higher on my list of prepping priorities these days.

Last year I manged to loose just over a stone (16st 2lb down to 15st with a combination of portion control and really, REALLY, basic exercise routine. I am telling myself that getting the next chunk of weight off is going to be easier than the first, but in realty it is hard to keep the enthusiasm going, so this year I have decided to up my game from "regular with a few days off here and there" to "Everyday without fail" Any exercises involving high impact are non starters for me, so my (now daily) routine comprises of;

500 arm curls, 250 each arm, using 2.3kg / 5lb dumbbells - 50 x 5 repetitions (Up 50% from 2018)
"Plank" using the chair as support - 10 repetitions each 60 seconds. (Up 100% from 2018)
After breakfast :D I walk the dog about a mile.
I repeat the dumbbell exercises later in the afternoon and again in the evening. (Up 100% from 2018)
Sundays the dog walk increases to approx 3 miles at reasonable pace.
Make sure I spend at least part of the day working outside in the garden or include something extra into my indoor routine, such as squats, stretches, and don't sit at the desk for more that an hour at a time.

AND
1) Have cut down the portion sizes at meal time by about 10%
2) No sneeking a snack during the day. :oops:
3) No eating after 8pm whatsoever :oops:

Short term target is 14st by Xmas 2019.
Longer term target is to feel better and healthier.

Some preps are harder that others.......... :(
I bought a magnetic exercise bike and put it in the living room. It glares at me to use it
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Cptsmash

Post by Cptsmash »

Bread........ As I have a little more time of an evening I've decided to start baking bread again.. I say I'm baking, it's more of bobbing the ingredients in the bread maker. It does work out cheaper, but to be fair, damn, it's much tastier bread. I'd forgotten how much better it tastes, and it smells fantastic. I'm currently trying different flours (for taste) and then you can buy bulk bags (16kg-25kg). No more empty shelves at the first sight snow... Just lots of warm tasty bread...........! :lol:

Post by Post »

Where’s best?

It’s all batchelors stuff, I didn’t want to go to Aldi or Lidl for their veg, I have more faith in the taste and canning methods of the bigger firms.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

I bought a magnetic exercise bike and put it in the living room. It glares at me to use it :lol:

Its one of the few FREE preps we can do that offers a high return, a no brainer really.

We figure all our other preps could be a waste of time if we are not fit and well enough if and when the need arises.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:40 pm I bought a magnetic exercise bike and put it in the living room. It glares at me to use it :lol:

Its one of the few FREE preps we can do that offers a high return, a no brainer really.

We figure all our other preps could be a waste of time if we are not fit and well enough if and when the need arises.

I thought it was for hanging clothes to air on??? ;)

Added a co alarm in the kids bedroom ( directly above the boiler if the wind is blowing in a cirtain direction you can sometimes smell the emissions if the window vents are opened ... Can't be too careful
IMG_20190202_123901224.jpg
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

This week as I surveyed my vast array of pasta, rice, dried spuds and assorted jars of cooking sauces, i realised i'm just lost on the topic of meat.
I'm filling the newly acquired spare freezer, so there will be SOME meat into a crisis, but I feel the urge for something long term and not in need of freezing.
Tinned meat is part of that and i do have some, but it's not cheap, and quality is an issue...

...So, I bit the bullet and decided to try Soya Mince and Soya Chunks....

But HECK, what's wrong with the big supermarkets. No dried Soya in Tesco, Asda, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. Morrison's web site claims to stock some soya chunks and mince, but they don't stock it in my local superstore.

So, if anyone knows a good source of dried Soya Chunks and Mince, please tell me.

Meanwhile, experimenting with the only stuff I could find, frozen Quorn Soya chunks. Recipes to follow in another post, but for now, just call me Jenny Fartpants.

Also, this week... Destocked the local Tesco of all their Chickpeas, still on offer at £3.50 for 2Kg.
Other half came home chuffed to have stocked up on 2 cheap jars of Kenco. I haven't mentioned the dozen jars I got last week and stashed in the Garage :)

Stockpile is now starting to get conspicuous to 'tother half. Tins and jars in every nook of the kitchen, but also some over-spill in the car, garage, and spare bedroom. My normal hidey holes are backing up. I might have to go for the big reveal sometime soon.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

There will be meat available,trust me.It may not be cheap,but it will be there.We still produce a fair amount in the UK.On the other hand,if I am wrong,then I am out of a job! :lol:

To be frank,it wouldn't hurt for society to eat a little less meat.As Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall put it, " meat should be seen as the accompaniment or seasoning to vegetables.Not the other way round. "
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:45 pm There will be meat available, trust me.It may not be cheap,but it will be there.
Yes indeed. This is why I'm in a tizzy. Short of MAJOR shtf, I should just brace myself to pay more... And i could already afford to pay much more. So as a Brexit prep, for example, I should not be worrying about meat, I should maybe concentrate on Coffee and fresh veg. But by that same logic, why am I bothering to prep/stockpile any food? One could say 'FFS Jenny why stash pasta, rice and spuds when the UK will always have spuds at a price'
So, I go back to my initial (mad?/extreme?) reason for stockpiling, and that is. hopefully unlikely, catastrophic infrastructure and societal breakdown. In that scenario, we are way down the road to teotwawki and meat will be occasional rabbits and pigeons, but hopefully not rats and non-mammals.
To be frank,it wouldn't hurt for society to eat a little less meat.As Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall put it, " meat should be seen as the accompaniment or seasoning to vegetables.Not the other way round. "
Point well made and well taken. My recent practice meals have opened my mind to a whole new set of flavours and textures... and smells :oops:
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
hobo

Post by hobo »

Jenny,
I usually rely on Sainsbury’s for frozen soya mince. Can’t say I’ve noticed the dried stuff in there. Holland & Barrett do dried mince and chunks. I usually wait for a BOGOHP offer before I shop in there - they’re due to have one soon.
Red lentils are our preference for bolognaise, shepherds pie, dhal and soups. Red beans for chillis and chick peas for pies and curries. We’re also really fond of tofu (especially tins of Marigold braised tofu) 😋