Vacpak, Dehydrate, Freeze, Best practices?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jennyjj01

Vacpak, Dehydrate, Freeze, Best practices?

Post by jennyjj01 »

Hi,
Mods, please move this if in wrong sub-forum.

I've recently bought vacuum packer and dehydrator and now I'm seeking advice on how to use those, along with existing stash space and freezer space to get best bang for my buck.

E.g. Some foods like carrots can be bought fresh, chopped up and frozen... Or they can be bought already chopped and frozen, Or could be chopped up, or even bought frozen and then dehydrated and vac-packed and maybe NOT re-frozen. Similarly, Garden peas, would seem cheapest to buy frozen, but is it an idea to defrost and dehydrate some and store them in a jar without wasting freezer space?

What about dehydrating some of my own cooked foods rather than freezing? What would work? Same with vac-packing? Should I maybe vac-pack my flour to keep damp out ( and flash freeze to kill off critters )

Basically, What I'm after is some tips to make best value food purchases and then use these tools to make best use of my available cupboard space and freezer space. I'm inclined to want to use my freezers primarily for meat and store as much as I can at ambient temperatures.

Any good resources, or best practice hints and tips.

Thanks.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
pseudonym

Re: Vacpak, Dehydrate, Freeze, Best practices?

Post by pseudonym »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:58 pm
E.g. Some foods like carrots can be bought fresh, chopped up and frozen... Or they can be bought already chopped and frozen, Or could be chopped up, or even bought frozen and then dehydrated and vac-packed and maybe NOT re-frozen. Similarly, Garden peas, would seem cheapest to buy frozen, but is it an idea to defrost and dehydrate some and store them in a jar without wasting freezer space?

What about dehydrating some of my own cooked foods rather than freezing? What would work? Same with vac-packing? Should I maybe vac-pack my flour to keep damp out ( and flash freeze to kill off critters )

I'm inclined to want to use my freezers primarily for meat and store as much as I can at ambient temperatures

Yes yes and yes.

Not Much help am I? :mrgreen:

I started with frozen, defrosted then dehydrated and stored in KIlner jars.

Moved onto reduced items and dehydrated and stored them.

My freezer is all fish and meat with one frozen veg packet as an emergency.

Best to experiment with dehydrating - here's a great channel I use a lot

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheMrsVolf ... =dehydrate

And as a back up if power goes down and my vacuum sealer can't work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGfUwEf810g
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
hedgerowpete

Post by hedgerowpete »

i brought the Ball- Blue book to start with, its still my go to book
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Jenny, have a look on youtube, type in "dehydrating XXXXX" and you'll see how others do it, I found it really helpful at the start. As Pseud has said, you can do frozen, fresh etc but it can be a bit daunting so get your ass on youtube. ;)
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Couple of tips for cooking for the dehydrator, use as little fat as possible, use lean meat and as little oil as you can get away with, it will last longer as the fat goes rancid.

Get yourself a mandolin for cutting things to go in it, the smaller and more even your pieces of food are the quicker they will dry, Lidl often have cheap ones in that do the job fine.

If you're doing veg it dries better if you blanch it quickly first.

I do fruit and veg at about 35 degrees, meat you want at above 70 to stop bacteria growing.

Finally there's a YouTube channel called the hungry hammock hanger, he makes camping meals to dehydrate and there's some very good ideas in his videos, the Cajun red beans and rice he makes is a real favourite of mine, it's delicious. He hasn't made a video in a long time, or he hadn't last time I looked, but the ones he did are great.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Deeps wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:23 pm get your ass on youtube. ;)
Lol. Thanks. Members wouldn't want to see that, especially in widescreen.

I'll get my coat :lol:
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:20 pm
Deeps wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:23 pm get your ass on youtube. ;)
Lol. Thanks. Members wouldn't want to see that, especially in widescreen.

I'll get my coat :lol:
There's a market for everything. ;)
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XPx9WMGH-uc

This is a video for powdered milk but I have used same technique for different flours. Still sealed tight. Of course other stuff on his site is good too
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman