Building my home

Homes and Retreats
DustyDog

Building my home

Post by DustyDog »

Ok not what you were all expecting but this will be home in a few months, have been taking photos as I’ve gone along, will post again in a few weeks. Also if ppl interested I’ll do a more detailed story with more photos if I’m asked.
Attachments
DD730277-93DD-473C-AC65-9CB707E5350D.jpeg
Up in the wet South Lakeland
Arzosah

Re: Building my home

Post by Arzosah »

It's the *start* of what I was expecting :) Starting to look good, too! I'd welcome more detail - levels of insulation? What about power? Water? Have you been able to fit a portapotti in there anywhere? Are you using a sleeping bag or a duvet?

Good luck, in any case - very empowering.
omega man

Post by omega man »

Very interesting, agreed...bring a full 'build thread' :D
OM
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

looks good keep us updated on the build. What kind of insulation have you used, looks like you might need a little more for winter months.

built something similar with my brother a few years back in a Mercedes sprinter ..... he's the mechanic / welder i'm just the electrical engineer and amateur woodworker.

It's amazing what you can fit in such a small space, we got a kitchen, couch, table, two beds, space in the back for two motocross bikes and all the spares. It was like a 5 star hotel next to the track for us.
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Your not going to like this but I'll say it...

Rip the bubble wrap out it has next to no U value and replace with rock wool or PIR insulation (kingspan insulation board)

Consider putting a bulkhead in and insulating that too as the amount of glass in the cab makes it a swine to insulate

Once you have the insulation in place cover it with polythene sheeting to stop condensation from soaking into the insulation (vapour barrier) then overclad

(I've Worked in the caravan trade)

https://www.thencc.org.uk/energy-rating-calculator.aspx
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

Cheers I’ve got 50mm insulation underneath the bubble wrap and it is fully vapour proof hence why I put it up and have pushed the insulation into all the gaps you cannot get kingspan in. I’m thinking of heavily Lined curtains and a windscreen cover for the front. The insulation I’ve used is recycled plastic and is rot resistant, have used rolls of aluminium tape to seal gaps and will be putting in cladding on top of bubble wrap, making sure I have plenty of ventilation to keep condensation to a minimum. Thanks for input.
korolev

Post by korolev »

Looking good.
Have you watched George Clarke's Small Spaces on C4 ? Some good stuff on there, might be a source of ideas.

I'm thinking of buying a van and converting it and I will be looking at being able to "fold out" when parked to increase space.
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

Have seen that series, YouTube has been a huge source of help as have a good few Facebook groups, have a look on there for ideas.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I'm catching this George Clarke series for the first time ever, its got some great stuff on.

Dusty, sounds like you've taken a huge amount of care with the insulation - when will you be in, do you think?
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

Arzosah wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:34 pm
Dusty, sounds like you've taken a huge amount of care with the insulation - when will you be in, do you think?
I’m not sure I can only do bits when it isn’t raining because I’m doing the conversion in my works car park, have no workshop at all, I hand saw wood balancing on two bins etc, of course it is winter so gets very cold and Just to make things really hard I got diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my spine which means part of my left arm is numb, I have less strength in my left hand and have lost some fine control of my fingers so I’m still hoping to be living in albeit not finished in two or three months given how sometimes I can only work for a few hours a week. I will get photos sorted and give a bit more details on what I have done. Thanks.