'manufactured' emergency food packs

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Kathymw

'manufactured' emergency food packs

Post by Kathymw »

Hi. Seen mention of pre packed emergency food packs in paper a couple days ago and I've looked at that company's website - emergency food storage. Seems like an easy way to get a pack for certain time scales (range from few days to a yr!) with v v long life. Has anyone tried these type of things? Just thinking might be compact and easy way to have a few day's grub. Trying to sort out bags for husband and myself + 2 cats if we had to leave home quickly for few days and don't think us old codgers cld manage to carry all that seems to be recommended - bag for each of us, and each carrying cat basket with cat (each cat and basket tog about 10 kg, and those basket handles are quite thin!). Mainly thinking of something like domestic emergency as otherwise we'd stay here and use food supplies I've been squirreling away. Seen about the 7 oceans biscuits and might get some of them.
pseudonym

Re: 'manufactured' emergency food packs

Post by pseudonym »

Very expensive for what they are and the ingredients can be hit and miss.

If you are going to purchase them try them first

My Top 3 before diabetes

Turmat: https://drytech.no/en/shop/

Packet Gourmet: https://www.packitgourmet.com/Trail-Meals.html

Mountain house:https://www.mountainhouse.com/

I used to have expensive tastes.... :lol:

Cheaper in the long run to buy yourself a dehydrator and vacuum sealer and make your own.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

How much are you planning to store? (,Days weeks months?

Whilst not overly exciting the tinned meals in the supermarket are easily 1/10th the price of some stuff out there labeled as survival food etc

https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop ... 7%7C102638

https://groceries.asda.com/product/trad ... 0000460629

Add a bag of rice there's 2 meals for less than a fiver and reasonable shelf stable
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Kathy: I couldn't comment on those food supplies (except maybe going :shock: at the price)

However, can I recommend you looking into getting a sack barrow.
40lbs of cats and basket (not to mention any other cat necessaries such as food and litter) is a load in itself.
The other advantage is for moving preps around your place.
The folding ones are OK for light loads, but I've found that the folder I have isn't much use for the kind of weights that I need assistance to move (my job involves lifting 25kg sacks, so my limits are probably not yours)

Oh, and try to get the largest wheels you can
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

I've used them a few times, I like there stuff I mainly use it for hiking trips.

a standard "3 months supply pack" will last me a months worth of hiking based on 3 meals a day.

https://www.emergencyfoodstorage.co.uk/ ... gency-food
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
Kathymw

Post by Kathymw »

I just thought they might be easier to transport in a bag than a collection of tins and packets if have to leave quickly. Have selection canned meals for here at home, but it's if we have to leave quickly.

Have old sack truck/trolley somewhere so will look that out. Used to use that for transporting cats when I used to show 3 at a time with all their show stuff - forgotten about that. So it's old, and wheels cld be bigger.

Lots to think about. Read about people ready to make own soap, shampoo, candles, etc ?

Storage here needs to be considered. If store upstairs it gets baking hot in summer so have to be selective.

Thinking cap on.

Thank you :)

Kathy
peejay

Post by peejay »

I've bought some of their sample packs (individual servings in pouches with 7yr shelf life).
So far I've tried the scrambled eggs & chilli concarne.

The chilli was actually quite tasty though in future I'd send to under-fit the water & add more later if needs be, easier than the other way around.

The eggs I found a bit "grainy". I'm sure I'd be grateful for them (the eggs) if no choice, but I don't think I'd look forward to eating them on a daily basis if I'm totally honest.

I'm still on the fence about buying a few tins of the freeze-dried chicken though. I can't imagine it would taste too bad at all and, cost aside, I think it seems like a useful addition to the long life of pasta/rice etc.

Yes, it's relatively expensive, however I think there's something to be said about the statement pointing out that the price difference in a kg of chicken today, vs a kg of chicken in 20-25yrs is likely to be quite significant.

To be fair it would be hard to know what the same amount of money saved in the bank for 25yrs would be worth.

It's also worth re-stating what I've read elsewhere as well as here I think - This kind of food really shouldn't be compared side-by-side with what you'd normally eat, e.g. at the end of a long hike etc. you'd be far more appreciative of this sort of meal.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

One thing that often gets forgotten is soya mince, it's a dry product and gives you high quality protein, really easy to use and store, I have a fair bit of it knocking about, health food shops will have it, and they're a bit cheaper than supermarkets generally, I have a hippy supermarket near me that great for things like that.

I keep that rather than the freeze dried chicken, much cheaper, but not quite as convenient.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Kathymw

Post by Kathymw »

Think I'll give the soya mince a try as well.

The tuna of emergency food ration chicken, and other stuff, are quite large, 20+ meals I think. If only 2 of you, storage, unless at home, might be a problem.

I'm thinking I need 3 day's worth for if have to leave home suddenly - fire e.g.

Lots of things to think about. Stove too.

Regards
Kathy