Toiletries

Medical and Healthcare
Deeps

Re: Toiletries

Post by Deeps »

Jamesey1981 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:32 pm Some of the wet pipes are ok, I saw a programme where they tested various brands to see which ones break down, the andrex washlets are ok and the asda equivalent I use are also ok, some are not, and some of the ones that aren't say they are. You can test the ones you have by sticking them in a bowl of water and giving them a stir after half an hour or so, the ones that fall to bits are fine to flush.

On the subject of the compressed things, when Poundland have their camping stuff in during summer they have Jcloths in compressed individually wrapped tablets, they're exactly the same as the UST ones that you get from camping suppliers but much cheaper, I have them knocking about all over the place as they're handy to have around. Different to the little white ones but for a different purpose.
As for the degradeability of wet wipes, all I can say is as one of the first guys I know to use them on submarines, they were a bog blocker. I never got the need to put them down a bog instead of ditching them elsewhere but guys did and while probably not as robust as the UK system, they ended up getting 'banned'. You can either dispose of them in rubbish or if you really have to, bury them.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

My khazi blocks up just with paper, really crap design and I'll be glad when I can rip the damn thing out.

Aside from that, the ones that do break down are much the same as paper, although because they're wet you can wad them up a bit tighter, the ones that don't break down are in some cases made of polypropylene and will actually never break down, these are the ones that you shouldn't flush under any circumstances.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Jamesey1981 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:42 am My khazi blocks up just with paper, really crap design and I'll be glad when I can rip the damn thing out.

Aside from that, the ones that do break down are much the same as paper, although because they're wet you can wad them up a bit tighter, the ones that don't break down are in some cases made of polypropylene and will actually never break down, these are the ones that you shouldn't flush under any circumstances.
Deliberate ?????? :lol:
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Yep, it's a crap crapper.

I think it's designed to save water, counter productive if you need to flush it 75 times every time you use it.

Alternatively, maybe I should lay off the beans...
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Jamesey1981 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:23 pm Yep, it's a crap crapper.

I think it's designed to save water, counter productive if you need to flush it 75 times every time you use it.

Alternatively, maybe I should lay off the beans...
More beans Mr Taggart ????

hedgerowpete

Post by hedgerowpete »

as someone that has lived in countries where loo roll is not avalible. you only real alternative is a hose pipe or a bidet. poo sticks and pooh sponges are good but believe me you soon tire of wanting to use them.

one issue i have with storing rools is the volume they take up. i have tried to vac pack them but the management made a massive complaint over the fact that they dont roll any more as they are flattened out, so i used to have a plastic tube i used to force the card board tube round again with.

marital bliss was restored

i work on the plan of three wipes per adult bum and three sheets per wipe and one wipe extra for the ladies.

working on the idea of four visits per day per person and double that for small bums.

then all you have to do is work out how many sheets you need and if you want luxury and comfort or economical roughness. we do the wet wipe storing as well but i find to prevent drying out a wet wipe pack should be vac packed or design a wet wipe moisture additive to put the wet back into the wipes
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

It might be anecdotal but aper does seem to be one of the first things to disappear . We keep a decent amount although as pointed out they do take up a fair bit of space. We've never had problems with mice although I did have some soap in the shed that got chewed. . Moss is said to be a good alternative although I've never tried it and has the advantage of being fairly common , just make sure it goes ompost rather than going down the toilet. On that subject I have a friend who even though he has more money than he needs buys the cheapest he can ( and then moans about how crap stuff is) and once brought kitchen roll because it was cheaper and cut it in half . Not really the smartest move , or the cheapest in the long run , as kitchen roll contains polyester or plastic of some kind and is not intended to go down the sewers .
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

grenfell wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:55 am It might be anecdotal but aper does seem to be one of the first things to disappear . We keep a decent amount although as pointed out they do take up a fair bit of space. We've never had problems with mice although I did have some soap in the shed that got chewed. . Moss is said to be a good alternative although I've never tried it and has the advantage of being fairly common , just make sure it goes ompost rather than going down the toilet. On that subject I have a friend who even though he has more money than he needs buys the cheapest he can ( and then moans about how crap stuff is) and once brought kitchen roll because it was cheaper and cut it in half . Not really the smartest move , or the cheapest in the long run , as kitchen roll contains polyester or plastic of some kind and is not intended to go down the sewers .
Sphagnum moss works well but if its cold and damp it can make you wince. :lol: It has the advantage that you can put it back when you're finished so it can be very ecological.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Just don't pick up the same piece your mate has just used :shock:
By the way I must apogolise for the spelling mistakes , the keyboard on the iPad is playing up. :(
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

I bought lots wysiwipes a while back. Says on it that it is biodegradable. True or not dont know.
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman