What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
moominmama

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by moominmama »

coffee beans and wine...

we get wine online from https://www.portugalvineyards.com/en/ our last order worker out as £5.50 a bottle including delivery, economy of scales mean it is alot better value to buy as much as possible - and with uncertainty over brexit and importing we went for a large order, this order worked out as more per bottle than we would normally pay as it included 2 cases of bubbly, and half a case of ports, some of them a bit expensive (the ports not the bubbly). i tend to think that Portugese wines are under rated and really good value. Also the boxes are really good for storage and mulching the garden. you can get really lovely wine at good prices - https://www.portugalvineyards.com/en/wi ... &results=3 is really lovely, and really tastes as good as some very expensive champagnes. if you do want to order, open an account and put wines into basket without checking out - you should then get a 10% discount code emailed to you.

coffee beans really are better, we get from http://www.jamesaimer.co.uk/coffee.cfm, and go for the Traviso beans, 6 bags of 1 kg, it takes up space, but the best value for really nice beans, never had a bad batch! (take a the BBE dates with a pinch of salt)

Krups do excellent grinders.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Ok thanks mama :mrgreen:
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Graphite oil squirted in to all outside locks.....

Stock take of bio ethanol (need more)

And gave the stop cock it's biannual turn (don't want a siezed cock when you have a water leak! )
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Prepping_Al

Post by Prepping_Al »

Dono if you would call it a prep but came down this morning to find my wife using the powdered milk for her tea. I said we have at least 6 cartons of long life in the shed do you need me to get you one. Her reply made me convinced she is now a prepper "I know but we need to rotate the powdered stuff and I want to see how it tastes before we buy a couple" I had to forgive her for not making me a coffee.
I did buy a couple of extra tins of cornbeef and baby milk at lunch time to add to the stock pile.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

:P
Prepping_Al wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:44 pm Dono if you would call it a prep but came down this morning to find my wife using the powdered milk for her tea. I said we have at least 6 cartons of long life in the shed do you need me to get you one. Her reply made me convinced she is now a prepper "I know but we need to rotate the powdered stuff and I want to see how it tastes before we buy a couple" I had to forgive her for not making me a coffee.
I did buy a couple of extra tins of cornbeef and baby milk at lunch time to add to the stock pile.
Well it fits with the mantra " buy what you eat, eat what you store," and rotate it... No point storing it if no bugger eats / drink/ uses it ;)

Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:18 pm Graphite oil squirted in to all outside locks.....

Stock take of bio ethanol (need more)

And gave the stop cock it's biannual turn (don't want a siezed cock when you have a water leak! )
Prepping_Al wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:44 pm Dono if you would call it a prep but came down this morning to find my wife using the powdered milk for her tea. I said we have at least 6 cartons of long life in the shed do you need me to get you one. Her reply made me convinced she is now a prepper "I know but we need to rotate the powdered stuff and I want to see how it tastes before we buy a couple" I had to forgive her for not making me a coffee.
You do get a good feeling when the other half does something 'preppery' that you didn't expect. That's a result mate.
Prepping_Al

Post by Prepping_Al »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:28 pm :P
Well it fits with the mantra " buy what you eat, eat what you store," and rotate it... No point storing it if no bugger eats / drink/ uses it ;)
To be honest I only bought it as an absolute last thing. It always reminds me of red dwarf joke, dogs milk lasts the longest - cause no bugger will drink it. I don't really like the long life stuff but it's better than powder and handy to have in stock
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

But dogs milk is full of marrow bone jelly!

And deeps OHHHH BETTY!

Ive secured some timber to replace the fence posts on the allotment today :D

Oh and a pile of veg seeds from bq as they were 50% off

itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Bulk meds brought back from the USA - ibuprofen and paracetamol. Medicine/toiletries cupboard purged of all old crap that I will never use to make room for new stuff. Loads of spices ordered in big quantities. 24 tins of tinned potatoes purchased. Contents of freezer in garage re-evaluated'and a few items that would be classified as 'would need to be VERY low on supplies to eat' thrown out and replaced with frozen spinach, onions, peas and quorn stuff.

This weekend I will be going through the stores to inventory what I've got and where gaps are. I also need to check prices on where is best place to get 10kg minced beef as I'm a little low on the mince and it goes a long way.

I've also joined the 48% preppers facebook group, some interesting threads on there.
MissPrep

Post by MissPrep »

Preps this week.... finally found this site again after a bit of a break (not from prepping, just from too much time wasting on the internet)

Doubt you lot remember me, as I was always mostly a lurker, but I was glad to see a fair few familiar names.

Got a shedload of shelves & kitted out my newly allocated pantry so my stores are now looking like a mini supermarket.

Got my first 100 Tattler lids for canning before Christmas.
They are fantastic (reusable not one shots like the kilner/ball ones) & I'll be ordering more as soon as I can get the funds together.
Just have to see how long the seals hold now as it's only been about a month since my first batch with them.