What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

How are you preparing
OperationPrep

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 6.

Post by OperationPrep »

I shall be starting to use a notebook to document everything and become more organised on different parts of my prepping.

We are moving off the boat we live on and to a house with a small garden and I have 0 gardening experience, so deciding how much I can learn in preparation for our move.

I will also finish my mini-EDC bag once an item or two more have arrived!
Ara

Post by Ara »

OperationPrep wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:18 pm I shall be starting to use a notebook to document everything and become more organised on different parts of my prepping.

We are moving off the boat we live on and to a house with a small garden and I have 0 gardening experience, so deciding how much I can learn in preparation for our move.

I will also finish my mini-EDC bag once an item or two more have arrived!
Don't worry about lack of gardening experience. I've been growing food for over 30 years and still haven't cracked it. Mind you, if I stayed in one place for more than a few years I might have. Every garden is different and every year is different too. Whatever you do, have fun!
Panther

Post by Panther »

Over the last year, due to illness, and "having builders in" my attention has been on other things and so stocks of food, fuel etc. have been woefully neglected. With the start of a new year, and illness hopefully well behind me, it is now time to put my energies into rectifying the situation and restocking.
With Brexit fast approaching there is obviously an added incentive to increase stocks quickly, just in case. I'm sure there will be an attempt to reach a last minute political settlement, (they love to leave these things until the very last minute), which will hopefully avoid the cataclysm that the media have been predicting with ever increasing emotive language designed to promote a sense of worry and panic amongst the population. But, even so, even if there is only the slightest chance of the heralded national shortages and resulting chaos, it would be an utter dereliction on my part if I failed to prepare for such an unlikely outcome. Therefore I need to step up my prepping straight away.
My New Year's resolution is to "pull my finger out and get on with it!" This week I have been doing an audit of current stocks and making lists. Next week I hope to make extra trips to Lidl, Tesco, the local DIY store and the petrol station. Busy, busy; no time to lose! :)
There may be trouble ahead
But while there's moonlight and music
And love and romance
Let's face the music and dance
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

pseudonym wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:17 am Car being emptied ready for its annual service and MOT later in the week.
Car back and emergency cash stash dipped into. Not unexpected as the car's now 11 years old.

Another form of prepping that is often overlooked and not talked about by the tabloids.

Glad my family just sends cards and cash for Birthdays and Christmas. :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I reckon I'm about 95% finished in cutting back the hedges to let more sunlight and ventilation into the garden, which is a real relief, so today I started in on the dreaded brambles that spread from next door, plus a few that rooted in my own garden, between all the going away and sorting out probate. Probate is finally, finally finished, so all that time is my own, and the bramble roots suffered for it today :mrgreen: Nettles for the compost heap too.

Indoors, the project is to assess the stocks; turns out I have less dried food from supermarkets than I thought.
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Been preparing my allotment ready for the next growing season over the last few days. Weeding and covering up the beds to supress further weeds and to keep warmth in the ground. Dug in some old compost material too. Prepping it now before any potential big freeze happens and makes the ground too solid for digging. Now I'm planning exactly what will go where. Like to be ahead of the curve so I can get going with food production as soon as the weather allows in a couple of months.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Had a few more bits and bobs arrive from the Far East this morning, I believe we're off to the allotment to do a bit more tomorrow, although that might depend on how cold it is, the head gardener is a bit precious about that sort of thing. :lol:

Got a couple of melons (thanks Jamesey) and a couple of pineapples to dehydrate tomorrow too, I can fit that in between football games tomorrow afternoon though.
Cptsmash

Post by Cptsmash »

It's a "tin" run tomorrow for me.... We've just brought the tinned items from the garage into the house. We've probably got around a months worth, but I like around three to four months worth.. I'm getting ready for the mayhem that's going to arrive with brexit, I don't think it'll be the actual act more the mass panic from the public. The gennys ready just in case the French play funny buggers, and I need to get some diesel. It's going to be more logistics with freight regarding fuel and food I reckon than anything else. I hope...... But we're pretty much ready for most eventuallys, even civil unrest... The Lord loves a prepper..😂👍
jansman

Post by jansman »

Gonna start my Cayenne chillies in the propogater, after another cup of tea...
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:59 am Gonna start my Cayenne chillies in the propogater, after another cup of tea...
Our local bq have seeds by the tills reduced to 50p per pack got a pile of chillie seeds now :D
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine