Greetings from Wiltshire!

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
PrepperMum

Greetings from Wiltshire!

Post by PrepperMum »

Hi all,

I am based in Wiltshire and have been watching and reading about the Prepper way of life for a few years.

This is a start for me and us as a family. Started small, got an allotment and clearning the garage to store supplies.

Does anyone know of any local meet-ups?

Best wishes,

Kelly
hobo

Re: Greetings from Wiltshire!

Post by hobo »

Hi Kelly,
Happy New Year!
I'm in my 8th year of allotmenting :D About to start planning what to grow where. :)
Am up north so can't help with meet ups.
What got you into prepping?
H
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Hi Kelly, welcome to the forum! Sounds like you're making great starts. Meetups, it's what newcomers most want, and it's what regulars most avoid, sorry - partly because of bad publicity, there's a lot going on right now, if you look at "Prophecy Prepper" you'll see the sort of publicity we dread.

Good for you for making a start.
PrepperMum

Post by PrepperMum »

Hi Hobo,

Thank you for your nice response.

I guess what got me into Prepping is that I realised (along with many other people, I am sure) how many of important skills I lacked. Basic things that I should really know. Even being able to properly map read, know the area, find clean drinking water, etc. From this, I started watching some documentaries and reading articles. But, I realised, a lot of being a Prepper can be incorporated into daily life.

So, for me, I just need to get out of debt, prioritise and learn.

Best wishes,

Kelly
PrepperMum

Post by PrepperMum »

Hi Arzosah,

Thank you, good to know I have made a good beginning.

I will have a search for Prophecy Prepper. I understand about the publicity side of things, although it is gaining more of a mainstream following in the UK.

Best wishes,

Kelly
korolev

Post by korolev »

hello :mrgreen:
hobo

Post by hobo »

PrepperMum wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:33 pm Hi Hobo,

Thank you for your nice response.

I guess what got me into Prepping is that I realised (along with many other people, I am sure) how many of important skills I lacked. Basic things that I should really know. Even being able to properly map read, know the area, find clean drinking water, etc. From this, I started watching some documentaries and reading articles. But, I realised, a lot of being a Prepper can be incorporated into daily life.

So, for me, I just need to get out of debt, prioritise and learn.

Best wishes,

Kelly
Thanks for that. I agree! My prepping is all about the most likely thing to happen to me and mine - such as illness, unemployment, homelessness. I've experienced all of those before! :shock: So, debt free is a big one for me (took ages), taking care of my health, safety and wellbeing. Work/play balance (difficult when self-employed).
I realise I need to up my skills and practice them. I do keep up to date with my first aid training, though never seem to have the opportunity to use it. Bah, why can't people be more considerate? :lol:
PrepperMum

Post by PrepperMum »

Yes Hobo, I would agree with what you have written there. From what I have read on other (non-prepper) forums, people want to protect against these life events.

I guess prepping takes it a bit further in looking at everything. Each bit of prep removes some worry for each area.

I also think that the skills, preppers learn, anything from woodworking to bee keeping is a bartering skill inself and less money spent.
hobo

Post by hobo »

PrepperMum wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:41 pm I also think that the skills, preppers learn, anything from woodworking to bee keeping is a bartering skill inself and less money spent.
And building up/getting involved with a community of like minds.... :)
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Interesting you mention map reading as a skill. I'm lucky in that, I was taught map reading at school.
Last edited by Arzosah on Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.