How are you preparing for Brexit?

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: How are you preparing for Brexit?

Post by jansman »

When I first got into prepping,I was looking at old civil defence documents ( cold war era).Tea was one thing the British gvt stockpiled,as it understood the positive effect on morale.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I like to use a tea infuser given the option.

I've tried the ball type, the spoonish ones and even had one shaped like a small teacup. However the best one I've used is a little sieve-thingee that goes inside the mug, like this one Link to ebay sale..... I recently used it for removing the bits from mulled wine, Multi-use prep-tool ;)

RE: Tea and Moral. I read somewhere (it might even been on here) that there was a Government emergency plan (Cold War going hot?) to send warships via the Suez canal to obtain tea supplies for the nation
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Brilliant :mrgreen: and I especially love the multi-use angle. I bet I can rig something - its finer mesh than my ordinary tea strainer, too.

ETA - just found out that another friend is independently doing a Brexit stock up. I think there's a lot of people who wouldn't dream of calling themselves preppers that are doing it.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Can anybody remember tea chests? Everybody used them in the 50s for moving house or storing stuff. Huge square boxes in thin splintery wood, lined with silver foil :mrgreen: Wonder what tea comes in now.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

diamond lil wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:11 am Can anybody remember tea chests? Everybody used them in the 50s for moving house or storing stuff. Huge square boxes in thin splintery wood, lined with silver foil :mrgreen: Wonder what tea comes in now.
I remember them! When we moved over the water from Liverpool we used them as packing crates, in the early 60s. We had enough chairs to sit on by then, and a table, but it was a long time before they left the house :)
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I always find it funny that loose tea is dearer than the bags. Probably down to the volumes sold I guess although the loose nearly always seems to taste better. As an aside I like to dry my bags out to allow me to rip them open so only the leaves go on the compost heap , prrobably not the end of the world but I just dislike the little bits of polyester that don't rot down. Should there be a shortage of tea there are alternatives. The best I've found so far in that it tastes a lot like "proper" tea is rosebay willow herb a very common weed. Just dry it out and use as one would tea. I've read raspberry leaves also make a good substitute but despite having them in my garden I've never yet tried them.
Funny the mention of tea chests. They seemed very common as I was growing up but thinking about it I haven't really seen one for some time now , I suppose there's better things to transport tea in nowadays.
korolev

Post by korolev »

diamond lil wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:11 am Can anybody remember tea chests? Everybody used them in the 50s for moving house or storing stuff. Huge square boxes in thin splintery wood, lined with silver foil :mrgreen: Wonder what tea comes in now.
Mug. 2 sugars. Cheers. :D

grenfell wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:23 am I always find it funny that loose tea is dearer than the bags. Probably down to the volumes sold I guess although the loose nearly always seems to taste better. As an aside I like to dry my bags out to allow me to rip them open so only the leaves go on the compost heap , prrobably not the end of the world but I just dislike the little bits of polyester that don't rot down. Should there be a shortage of tea there are alternatives. The best I've found so far in that it tastes a lot like "proper" tea is rosebay willow herb a very common weed. Just dry it out and use as one would tea. I've read raspberry leaves also make a good substitute but despite having them in my garden I've never yet tried them.
Funny the mention of tea chests. They seemed very common as I was growing up but thinking about it I haven't really seen one for some time now , I suppose there's better things to transport tea in nowadays.
Sometime in the early 1980's my mate Martin had a removal firm and I used to do a bit of work for him. Tea chests were common and Martin had a lock-up full of them. I dunno when cardboard boxes replaced them tho...

As for Brexit preps, bunged another £100 in the safe at the weekend. Also paid the mortgage off last week (not really a prep, just we inherited a little windfall and rather than do a lavish holiday, new iphones and a Benzo, we opted to make the house 100% ours.
I cannot pretend to know much about interest rates or banking (apart from the fact that they will look after themselves first) but we've insulated ourselves from any post-brexit rate rise.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

korolev wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:38 am
Sometime in the early 1980's my mate Martin had a removal firm and I used to do a bit of work for him. Tea chests were common and Martin had a lock-up full of them. I dunno when cardboard boxes replaced them tho...

As for Brexit preps, bunged another £100 in the safe at the weekend. Also paid the mortgage off last week (not really a prep, just we inherited a little windfall and rather than do a lavish holiday, new iphones and a Benzo, we opted to make the house 100% ours.
I cannot pretend to know much about interest rates or banking (apart from the fact that they will look after themselves first) but we've insulated ourselves from any post-brexit rate rise.
The best prep of all I'd say. Congrats mate.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Paying the mortgage off is the best feeling in the world! Welcome to the club - you are no longer a slave. :D Well done!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

korolev wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:38 am
Mug. 2 sugars. Cheers. :D

Congratulations, korolev! And thats definitely a prep! Doesn't matter that it comes from an inherited windfall, it's what you did with it that matters.