Hidden retreat?

Homes and Retreats
Arwen Thebard

Re: Hidden retreat?

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Arzosah wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:42 am
Drcamburn wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:57 am Like i said in my first post I'm very much in the shelter at home camp of preppers on this forum. That post was literally, if i physically had to prepare a bug out location that's how I'd do it.
Asked and answered, in detail, thank you for that :)

I actually really like some of the suggestions you made - digging the toilet hole, edible planting, materials for a fire pit.
How about a caravan or motor-home instead of a tent?

It's a lot of investment I know, and has obvious drawbacks in terms of how far off road you can realistically go, but there are plenty of advantages as well. Aside from prepping, it does give you a holiday option, extra storage space, guest accommodation, home office......

If you did secure some land of your own and could a vehicle get onto it, then all the preps you mention such as latrines, fire pits and pre planting some trees / bushes, would still apply.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arwen has a point. My brother lives in a caravan on a New Age Traveller site. They own the land as a collective. It’s a motley mix of portable accommodation, trucks , vans and caravans. They have a brook for drawing water, compost toilets and vegetable gardens, along with goats and fowls. They mind their own business, and council officials leave them alone, as broadly speaking, they comply with planning rules attached to the land that they own outright.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Drcamburn

Post by Drcamburn »

Last edited by Drcamburn on Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you work, you eat, it's as simple as that.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Absolutely! We have a member currently insulating a van for use as a living space, let alone a bug out vehicle. Before I retired, I was wondering if I'd need to live in a van while renting out my house, to cope until I got some pension money. It really concerned me for a while, and then I realised it was actually a potential goal, for a while, rather than just a bad fallback :mrgreen:
Chunk

Post by Chunk »

I’ve considered using abandoned mines near where I live. There plenty about my region and I know a few of them like he back of my hand.
korolev

Post by korolev »

Chunk wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:31 am I’ve considered using abandoned mines near where I live. There plenty about my region and I know a few of them like he back of my hand.
Chances are, so do other people.
Chunk

Post by Chunk »

Quite right. I guess the same could be said for many retreats etc. Not forgetting the reasons for the bug out as many plan for different reasons etc. Still, I like visiting them, there lovely get aways. You ever been to one?
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

korolev wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:54 am
Chunk wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:31 am I’ve considered using abandoned mines near where I live. There plenty about my region and I know a few of them like he back of my hand.
Chances are, so do other people.
It occurs to me (for the first time :oops: )that that might not be a disadvantage in the end. It would be terrifying, no doubt about it - but if negotiations can be opened between all the new arrivals, a very "can do" community just might evolve. We've no idea what kind of event we're talking about that would mean evacuating to abandoned mines, of course, but a self selecting community prepared to do what it takes to survive might end up being no bad thing.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

All this talk of abandoned mines, I can't get this out my head....

Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I can't even see what that is :lol: :lol: :lol: I'd have thought something James Bondish originally, but it also looks like Harry Potter, when they tried to steal the cup from Gringotts in Deathly Hallows :lol: