How are you preparing for Brexit?

How are you preparing
Arzosah

Re: How are you preparing for Brexit?

Post by Arzosah »

PreppingPingu wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:14 pmOur pet rabbit got out, ate through my winter salad veg bed in the garden. All my kale, pick n come again lettuce, parsley, fennel and pea shoots were gone. (However, our nicely fattened rabbit then appeared to have met Mr Fox so I am sure the fox was happy … circle of life and all that.) I digress, so now with the winter salad garden decimated, I need to get going again as leafy salads and greens will be hit in the import stakes in March I feel. I also need to protect the growing bed better too. Lesson learnt and all that.
Not a digression at all! Learning what can happen with animals and crops, at your expense - thanks for posting!

I'm thinking what steps are next too, and really its the bigger ones - getting the solar panel set up properly, and getting a battery to it. I'm not convinced that a mini-generator is a good idea in a suburban small town like where I am. Though maybe stocking up on camping gaz cartridges would be a good idea.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I set out containers in the greenhouse yesterday ready for sowing microgreens.I have an electric propogater,so shall be starting those soon.Lettuce,beet and pea shoots to start.I shall continue to steadily stock food for the pantry.Tinned meat products are a little weak,and meds need more of a look.

I was told by my coal merchant yesterday that come Summer,coal will rise in price.So I shall keep buying it in a bit at a time.I am fortunate that I have room to store it properly,so it doesn't turn to dust. It will be a better investment than putting the money in the bank.

12 weeks to B- Day.If the economy goes belly up,we are sorted.If it doesn't,then we are well stocked.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Have a look at this
https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/l ... 29/129.pdf

Now if this is right, the LEAST we will pay is 22% MORE. Under WTO rules a damn sight more. Keep stockpiling folks!

Robert Frost.

Me.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

In the summary:

"If an agreement cannot be negotiated, Brexit is likely to result in an average tariff
on food imports of 22%. While this would not equate to a 22% increase in food
prices for consumers, there can be no doubt that prices paid at the checkout
would rise.
To counteract this the Government could cut tariffs on all food
imports, EU and non-EU, but this would pose a serious risk of undermining
UK food producers who could not compete on price."
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

pseudonym wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:10 pm In the summary:

"If an agreement cannot be negotiated, Brexit is likely to result in an average tariff
on food imports of 22%. While this would not equate to a 22% increase in food
prices for consumers, there can be no doubt that prices paid at the checkout
would rise.
To counteract this the Government could cut tariffs on all food
imports, EU and non-EU, but this would pose a serious risk of undermining
UK food producers who could not compete on price."
I've not read up on everything but if its a no deal Brexit then there will be a hoofing big divorce settlement that can somehow be utilised to soften the blow one way or another. Might require a bit of creative thinking by someone who does know what they're talking about (and following it all as opposed to this callsign) but its in all our interests to make things as easy as we can.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Thanks for highlighting that! As said though,we will pay more.The worst part though,is the threat to UK producers,as noted in that passage.There is a misguided belief that once we kick Johnny Foreigner into touch,we are going to become self sufficient overnight,( this will happen between seasons in the old traditional ' Hungry Gap).If the government has to step in to alleviate the immediate financial shock,then producers will not survive the period,and will not be there to feed us for us in our new Utopia!

I was talking to Robert,our poultry supplier,yesterday.He has concerns about this very issue.He says that he will not run at a loss.As he owns all the land outright,he will simply sack everyone and sell to a house building company who have approached him.My boss was present,and he reiterated that our own company would only need an8 to 10% downturn in trade,and redundancy would follow,as heavy capital investment in 2017/18 means there is little resilience. That is just two SME directors.

On a positive note,and staying within the spirit of the thread,my new buck rabbit is doing his job well,and the general malaise in the world is pushing the price of gold and silver up nicely! Seed spuds are chitting,ready for an early start in the tunnel and the PG Tip stash has reached critical mass :lol: Mrs J is adding nicely to her prosecco lake,and my homebrew shed looks like a micro brewery.If this whole issue has done one good thing,it is that it's kicked my arse and got me prepping properly again.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:31 am Thanks for highlighting that! As said though,we will pay more.The worst part though,is the threat to UK producers,as noted in that passage.There is a misguided belief that once we kick Johnny Foreigner into touch,we are going to become self sufficient overnight,( this will happen between seasons in the old traditional ' Hungry Gap).If the government has to step in to alleviate the immediate financial shock,then producers will not survive the period,and will not be there to feed us for us in our new Utopia!
What a 'mare, all the way round.
the PG Tip stash has reached critical mass :lol: Mrs J is adding nicely to her prosecco lake,and my homebrew shed looks like a micro brewery.If this whole issue has done one good thing,it is that it's kicked my arse and got me prepping properly again.
It was the PG Tips thing that made me want to post :) I had a little Christmas Mark II celebration yesterday, and one of my stocking filler presents was one of those gadgets that you put loose tea in and let it brew in the pot :D which means I'm genuinely going to start using leaf tea, which will save on space no end - I counted up the other day quite how much tea I drink each day :oops: :oops: :oops: and its quite a lot.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah, it is a ‘mare.

Regarding loose tea, we always used to use it. May be worth another look, as you say, from a space perspective.

Robert Frost.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I use loose tea in one of those wee thingies Arzosah, as well as bulk teabags from Costco. I drink an awful lot of tea :mrgreen:
The closer this comes the more it feels like war.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

diamond lil wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:57 am I use loose tea in one of those wee thingies Arzosah, as well as bulk teabags from Costco. I drink an awful lot of tea :mrgreen:
I'm in good company then :D
The closer this comes the more it feels like war.
I don't *want* to agree with you, but I *do* agree with you. It won't come to that, of course, but there's definitely a feeling of being beleaguered. Except that its the government, and part of our own electorate, doing it to us :(