Stocking up.

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: Stocking up.

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:03 pm In the 70s I was a very young mum of two toddlers, married to a dock worker who was always on strike. We really depended on potatoes as filler-uppers and I was struggling when the price suddenly went sky high. Also sugar. I had to go back to my Irish mum's "hard-times cookery", big pots of soup and rice pud.
I was a lad in the 70’s. Mum and Dad struggled. Then so did everyone else in our street. Bad wages and rampant inflation meant you are what was put in front of you. A lot of what we ate came off Dad’s allotment and the back garden. It’s where I got my taste for salted runner beans!
He kept rabbits too, which is where I get it from. I think a little dose of 70’s austerity may be on the cards.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:36 pm
Arzosah wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:21 pm
ForgeCorvus wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:31 pm

Calcium Hypochlorite, AKA Pool Shock. You mix a very small amount with water to make a concentrated chlorine bleach that you can then dilute down to 'normal' strength bleach.
Somewhere around I've got a table of the ratios, I'll see if I can find it....... My next prep needs to be a filing system :oops:
Yes please, ForgeCorvus, if you can :)

Heres something that should help, copied from Here
Chlorine granules by Clearwater, and some dip test strips as recommended by Survival Mom, just ordered. I also attached something called Clay Breaker, which I think is gypsum - my soil could be cut up to make bricks, and the reviews seem good, so we'll see. £30, all of it coming from vouchers I got through playing silly buggers on survey sites while watching tv :) I'm pleased with that, water is definitely sorted now, just going to up my supermarket delivery thats coming tomorrow - more tea bags :D

Can I ask, what are people's memories of 1976/77, the year of the good summer and the one after that?
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

The difference between 70's austerity and 20teens austerity?
Asking "What can I do to help myself?" rather then "Who is going to help me?"

Arzosah: I take it you already had the cards? Coz you're only a bad prepper if you had to go out just to get them. :oops:

Memories of 76/77. Dealing with the heat by sitting naked in a paddling pool and inviting the girl next door to come and join me..... In my defence, I had only just started primary school and she wasn't more then a couple of months older.
If my Dad's work was affected by strikes I wouldn't of noticed, His job used a long shift pattern so he could of been home at any time during the week
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:29 pm The difference between 70's austerity and 20teens austerity?
Thats not my experience, I confess. I was totally clueless about money, yes, but from the moment I left home at age 18, I was an activist in a world of activism ... erm, that may have started with the student occupation of University Exam Schools, throwing our blankets out of the top floor of the convent windows so the nuns wouldn't see us carry them out. I was on guard at one of the doors of the Exam School, and promptly fell asleep :roll: There were other similar events :lol: After that, I studied what I wanted to study, I travelled where I wanted, I worked anywhere I could get a job, when I found one that could be a career I studied at night school then changed cities, then changed career anyway (twice). And remember, in the 70s, older adults had been through the war, and even middle aged men had done National Service, there was still a huge atmosphere of "get on with it", that I found, anyway. Though people were exhausted, too :(
Arzosah: I take it you already had the cards? Coz you're only a bad prepper if you had to go out just to get them. :oops:
:lol: 90%. My life has been a bit upside down the last few years :lol:
Memories of 76/77. Dealing with the heat by sitting naked in a paddling pool and inviting the girl next door to come and join me..... In my defence, I had only just started primary school and she wasn't more then a couple of months older.
If my Dad's work was affected by strikes I wouldn't of noticed, His job used a long shift pattern so he could of been home at any time during the week
Thats so sweet!
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

In 76 I lived in a multi storey flat and can only remember sitting up on the bare concrete roof watching the kids running about getting sunstroke and sunburn. My dad had an allotment and fishing boat but lived a fair distance away and they had no car, I remember wishing they were nearer.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Memories of 1976 / 1977

Bad; Spurs got relegated from the first division :(
Saturdays afternoons no longer had any meaning.

Good; Height of my time in the Northern Soul scene. :D ( I was a late starter)
Saturday nights and Sunday mornings were full of meaning.

I am now feeling very old....... off for a nap.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

These are great :D

Music! I missed out on Northern Soul ... my own music is forever folk protest songs, a lot of them American, but I did do a little bit of disco and then punk-as-a-fashion :D

Trying to think about prepping :oops: Living somewhere safe, with no dark alleyways before I got to my front door; getting home quickly when the riots were on; going to a self defence class (which was hopeless, though there was useful stuff about how to walk confidently and look like you were going to be too much trouble to take on). The first awareness of how additives in food had made some of it so unsafe, though I remember the mockery around "you are what you eat". Nothing about water.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:29 pm The difference between 70's austerity and 20teens austerity?
I can fully sympathise with that and it's a good thing you can say that on here and people will understand. Now if I were to repeat that on face book I can just imagine the names I'd get called.
To reminisce, in the summer of '76 I was still at school and during the school holiday a few friends and myself made some shields out of ply and the old ball and chains that we see in films of knights clashing. Main diffference was that our ball and chain was actually just a sponge on a string ( with a handle) . "Battle" commenced with each of us so armed and a bucket of water next to us. Sponge was soaked and we just started wailing each other...