What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

How are you preparing
Arzosah

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

Post by Arzosah »

Really interesting comments, thanks guys. It's come full circle, absolutely. Talking of charging for dumping rubbish - my council charges to have a green bin, where you can dispose of your garden waste. I try to compost, but the laurel that I'm getting rid of, its comparatively high in cyanide, and I don't want it in my compost, nor do I want to burn it. Nor do I want to pay for a green bin, when my council tax feels quite high. Enter my neighbour, who *does* have a green bin. I've used 2.5 collections, he now has a nice bottle of red wine from me, win-win.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Yes laurels and evergreens in general are a pain in the proverbial . I've probably said I do a fair bit of garden work for people and have at time had to take the rubbish away. I pay for my bin and that is nearly always full off other people's waste. I have several compost heaps of my own so it's really just the evergreens that go in it. Funnily enough my regular black bin is more often full of other ubbish than our own. Iff I have an awful lot off garden waste then it goes straight to the tip on the trailer but pulled by the car rather than the van because they are also funny about vans going to the tip.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Off to Lidl tomorrow to see if I can track down their 20 quid vac sealers from 16th Dec special buys. Have mapped out a route of nearest half dozen stores. ( might just buy them up to resell in Feb.)
Also, decided to order a few more Kilo of egg powder ( someone mentioned amazon shortage of it ) and I will buy a LOT more Canned and tetrapacked tomatoes. I like how Sainsburys do bundles of 3 x 4 boxes in a very compact shoebox size carton.
Tomorrow, I'm also going to do some cooking improv experiments to see what I can do with my assorted canned meat products (and MRM shite).
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
jansman

Post by jansman »

Because we forgot to get bacon out of the freezer ( not good for someone who cures it as his job! :oops: ) ,we will go to fallback position of tinned bacon,tinned mushrooms,tinned toms and black pud ( which we do have).

That puts breakfast into a ' can' do position. See what I did there? :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:26 pm Off to Lidl tomorrow to see if I can track down their 20 quid vac sealers from 16th Dec special buys. Have mapped out a route of nearest half dozen stores. ( might just buy them up to resell in Feb.)
Damn Lidl !!!
The vac sealers were in their Dec 16th specials, so I figured there ought to be one in a nearby store. But NO. First store I tried was one of their bigger ones and I asked the manager about them.... Oh things like that go back to the distribution centre if they don't sell quickly !!!! Less than 2 weeks and they took them off sale. No Vac bags or rolls either. Oh hum. Off to amazon, I suppose.
I did note that canned mushrooms were 41p in one store and 39p in another, so they are in the midst of re-pricing. I didn't really need 200 cans so I left a few. Didn't leave any of the cheap and vac packed arborio rice though :)
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Jansman can you get tinned bacon?
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:09 pm Jansman can you get tinned bacon?
Bacon grill its called Lil.Its basically bacon flavoured luncheon meat.Pound a can.I love it
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:50 pm
diamond lil wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:09 pm Jansman can you get tinned bacon?
Bacon grill its called Lil.Its basically bacon flavoured luncheon meat.Pound a can.I love it
I'm quite partial to the baco grill, shallow fry the crap out of it until its rigid and add diced tatties (or chips) and beans (beans and sausages if you're really posh :lol: ). Mmmmmmm.
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Baco grill sounds good! Which shops stock it? Thanks,
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.