How are you preparing for Brexit?

How are you preparing
Arzosah

Re: How are you preparing for Brexit?

Post by Arzosah »

Deeps wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:04 pm
Arzosah wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:31 pm I can't decide between catastrophising and normalcy bias :mrgreen:
The train set might be bigger but its all about scale.
While I accept that I'm very cynical (and saddened) by the whole process, its an absolute circus and the assorted utterances of Curly, Larry and May don't feature highly on my list of reasons to prep. I know this isn't the political reasons to prep thread and to a large extent I'm past caring about it so I'll restrict myself to saying however it pans out, I'm trying to 'Brexit proof' myself as best I can by squirrelling things away that I think we might need.

Its just a pity that (for me) the people who should be trying to sort this for the good of the country are too busy bickering. In the vacuum, we're left to speculate on stuff like this. :(
My cynicism (and anger, if I let myself think about them for more than 10 seconds) about politicians, and these politicians in particular (all sorts and types and colours) knows no bounds, I'm completely with you on that. Yes, brexit-proofing is necessary because of the bickering and point scoring and general pigheaded stupidity, all modes of politician included.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:08 pm
Arzosah wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:31 pm I can't decide between catastrophising and normalcy bias :mrgreen:
If I understand correctly, then neither can i.
I'd generally been prepping for unlikely but catastrophic infrastructure failure (maybe global turmoil). But now we have some far more real and present danger from Brexit. It would be dumb not to modify our plans.
Indeed it would. All the more annoying because its self imposed, or at least imposed by domestic politicians.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Deeps,I agree that GVT. are using the prep as a political tool,but at the same time,it is a warning flag,( to me anyway).

A mans house was flooding a fter heavy rain.His neighbours all got out,and they said, " come with us". He said,I shall pray,god will save me.

The police came by to help in a boat,and he refused,shouting from the bedroom window, " my god will save me! "

By the time he was on the roof,a helicopter came,but again he insisted god would save him.He drowned.

In heaven,he asked god why,after his prayers,he did not help??God said, " I gave you good neighbours,a police boat AND a helicopter,but still you ignored it! " :lol:

The signs are there,wrongly or rightly.I am not ignoring what is increasingly looking like the biggest economic disaster this country has faced.Preps will put me ahead of the game.If it comes to nowt,then I am still ahead of the game.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

It does feel like we're going into a war - as in nobody knows what to expect, including the govt.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

diamond lil wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:50 am It does feel like we're going into a war - as in nobody knows what to expect, including the govt.
I know what you mean, there is a palpable tension almost everywhere and the UK is unlikely to avoid the rising social unrest that we are seeing in other countries. Some sort of civil conflict would not be out of the question IMO given the anger people are expressing.

Usually in a war / conflict scenario the country comes together with a common focus against a common enemy, but currently we are in a very precarious position IMO with the country divided almost 50% - 50%. ? :(
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

There's a bit of sneaking about going on: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -sign-ndas
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:02 pm There's a bit of sneaking about going on: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -sign-ndas
Saw this. I don’t think folks really get what could happen.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Panther

Post by Panther »

jansman wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:25 pm
Arzosah wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:02 pm There's a bit of sneaking about going on: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -sign-ndas
Saw this. I don’t think folks really get what could happen.
No, they're too busy shopping for bargains in the sales or meeting for exorbitantly priced cups of coffee to worry about what might happen in a few months, after all that's a long way off. And of course, whatever happens the government will sort it out; nothing for ordinary folks to worry about :roll:
There may be trouble ahead
But while there's moonlight and music
And love and romance
Let's face the music and dance
jansman

Post by jansman »

Ha ha! You are spot on with the coffee scam Panther!

Robert Frost.

Me.
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Well now the madness of Christmas run up has subsided, I am going to refocus on Brexit stocks. I have just ordered a heated propagation tray to get my salads off to a good start. Our pet rabbit got out, ate through my winter salad veg bed in the garden. All my kale, pick n come again lettuce, parsley, fennel and pea shoots were gone. (However, our nicely fattened rabbit then appeared to have met Mr Fox so I am sure the fox was happy … circle of life and all that.) I digress, so now with the winter salad garden decimated, I need to get going again as leafy salads and greens will be hit in the import stakes in March I feel. I also need to protect the growing bed better too. Lesson learnt and all that.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)