How are you preparing for Brexit?

How are you preparing
grenfell

Re: How are you preparing for Brexit?

Post by grenfell »

Interesting article jansman and one that could be approached or viewed from different angles depending on one's outlook I suppose. On one hand a decade or so of economic woes and on the other hand in a decade or so the economy has found new markets and all is rosy again. Kind of fits how I think tings will play out , short term hassle but better off in the long term.

Edit , forgot to add the caveat that a decades time will be just about when some predictions say the world economy will be hitting the rails so the " better" aspect might just be total twaddle :?
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Dried milk is shockingly expensive :shock:
jansman

Post by jansman »

grenfell wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:35 am Interesting article jansman and one that could be approached or viewed from different angles depending on one's outlook I suppose. On one hand a decade or so of economic woes and on the other hand in a decade or so the economy has found new markets and all is rosy again. Kind of fits how I think tings will play out , short term hassle but better off in the long term.

Edit , forgot to add the caveat that a decades time will be just about when some predictions say the world economy will be hitting the rails so the " better" aspect might just be total twaddle :?
Well,it appears that TPTB are now standing the military up, making 2 billion quid available and setting up civil service emergency centres. The NHS caterers have been told to source alternative supplies, as have schools , prisons etc. The institutions have been told that there will likely be “ limited choice.”

It is akin to going onto a war footing, albeit domestically. No politics, it is what it is. When government prepares like this publicly, then it is time to take note.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

https://www.northantstelegraph.co.uk/ne ... -1-8744204

Looks like ( some)medicines are getting short
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:24 pm [
Well,it appears that TPTB are now standing the military up, making 2 billion quid available and setting up civil service emergency centres. The NHS caterers have been told to source alternative supplies, as have schools , prisons etc. The institutions have been told that there will likely be “ limited choice.”

It is akin to going onto a war footing, albeit domestically. No politics, it is what it is. When government prepares like this publicly, then it is time to take note.
They're such political animals now I wouldn't read too much into it in itself, they just want to toss out enough chaff to absolve themselves if things do go that bad. In our current 'THEY are all bastards' politics, 'they' always like to be able to have a 'get out of jail'.

I'm not saying this is all a feed of arse but the whole lot of them are bloody snake oil salesmen (and women) and I don't read much into what any of them say, good or bad. :evil:
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Good grief. Your "domestic war footing" phrasing was sobering in and of itself, but a direct quote from a named NHS professional, that really adds fuel to the fire. Deeps has a point, that every single politician involved is playing politics. But if thats *all* it is, its very detailed, with instructions being given to schools and prisons :(
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Arzosah wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:36 pm Good grief. Your "domestic war footing" phrasing was sobering in and of itself, but a direct quote from a named NHS professional, that really adds fuel to the fire. Deeps has a point, that every single politician involved is playing politics. But if thats *all* it is, its very detailed, with instructions being given to schools and prisons :(
In the grand scheme of things (which they deal in) its not exactly mind blowing. I'm not reading ANYTHING into the regular utterances. We just don't know but in the meantime I'm doing my thing and using Brexit to 'justify' upping some stuff with Her Maj. She's even been a bit evangelical at work about stocking up, despite not being fully onboard with what I plan. Gawd luvver. :evil:
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I can't decide between catastrophising and normalcy bias :mrgreen:
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Arzosah wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:31 pm I can't decide between catastrophising and normalcy bias :mrgreen:
The train set might be bigger but its all about scale.
While I accept that I'm very cynical (and saddened) by the whole process, its an absolute circus and the assorted utterances of Curly, Larry and May don't feature highly on my list of reasons to prep. I know this isn't the political reasons to prep thread and to a large extent I'm past caring about it so I'll restrict myself to saying however it pans out, I'm trying to 'Brexit proof' myself as best I can by squirrelling things away that I think we might need.

Its just a pity that (for me) the people who should be trying to sort this for the good of the country are too busy bickering. In the vacuum, we're left to speculate on stuff like this. :(
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

diamond lil wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:57 pm Dried milk is shockingly expensive :shock:
Agreed. Asda have it reduced to £5.50 for 900g. That will seem incredibly cheap if TSHTF. I'm filling my boots at that price.
Sainsburys at £1.65 for 300g.

Just think how bad life would be with no milk. All the tea and coffee and weetabix stash would be useless.
Arzosah wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:31 pm I can't decide between catastrophising and normalcy bias :mrgreen:
If I understand correctly, then neither can i.
I'd generally been prepping for unlikely but catastrophic infrastructure failure (maybe global turmoil). But now we have some far more real and present danger from Brexit. It would be dumb not to modify our plans.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong