How to store jerky

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
gadgetguy

How to store jerky

Post by gadgetguy »

Morning all. I made my first batch of beef jerky last night and its delicious. :)

Just took some minute steak from sainsburys cut off any fat and tenderized it with a rolling pin.

Cut it into strips and left it to marinade in some Chilli infused olive oil with a splash of Worcester sauce and added a sprinkling of a beef oxo cube and two dried green chillis. Gave it all a good rub in and left to marinade for only six hours and dried for eight.

Now its my first go and i was wondering how do people store thiers and how long do you think its safe to store and eat?

GG
ForgeCorvus

Re: How to store jerky

Post by ForgeCorvus »

You can store jerky?
I can't keep it in the house..... It 'melts' away :oops:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

My attempts at doing beef have ended up beyond jerky, I've dried the crap out of it. I have some in a kilner, I've tried it from time to time and it takes a lot of spit to soften it. Its kept for a few years so far though.
gadgetguy

Post by gadgetguy »

Thanks for the replies. Well it didn’t last long only two days.

Mine was a bit dry as well Deeps but I’m going to adjust the time for the next batch.

GG
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I guess you'll have to have a play and do a few batches. :D
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

I vacuum pack mine in individual portions and keep it in the freezer, defrosts in about ten minutes as there's not a lot of it.

Home made jerky needs to be a bit drier than the bought stuff if it's going to last as it's not loaded up with preservatives.

Using oil in your marinade will cut down your shelf life a bit, it will go rancid, but home made jerky will keep nicely for at least a few months if in an airtight container, and it lasts pretty much indefinitely in the freezer.

I tend to make mine when I find a roasting joint in the reduced section, I was a chef for years so it's easy enough to clean up and get rid of all the fat and sinew.

Little tip, use some soy in your marinade, the salt helps it last a bit longer.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
gadgetguy

Post by gadgetguy »

Thanks Jamsey. Second batch just gone in a hour ago. Will let you know how its goes. :)
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

How did the second batch go?
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
gadgetguy

Post by gadgetguy »

Well the second batch went well went with the same procedure but it marinaded overnight. Then reduced the dry time by one hour. Have three bags in the freezer one to use just now and another that just disappeared :lol: