Stocking up.

How are you preparing
ForgeCorvus

Re: Stocking up.

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Arzosah wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:22 pm Oh, bleach: I know there's a version of bleach I can buy that's fit for long term storage, but I only researched it halfway, and got lost in other things, so now I'm back to square one.
Calcium Hypochlorite, AKA Pool Shock. You mix a very small amount with water to make a concentrated chlorine bleach that you can then dilute down to 'normal' strength bleach.
Somewhere around I've got a table of the ratios, I'll see if I can find it....... My next prep needs to be a filing system :oops:

Re: The supply chain, I saw something on the Box about a company that smoke salmon.
The fish are farmed just down the road from them but its cheaper for them to freeze the fish, send it to China to be filleted and ship it back then do it all in house!!
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:31 pm
Arzosah wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:22 pm Oh, bleach: I know there's a version of bleach I can buy that's fit for long term storage, but I only researched it halfway, and got lost in other things, so now I'm back to square one.
Calcium Hypochlorite, AKA Pool Shock. You mix a very small amount with water to make a concentrated chlorine bleach that you can then dilute down to 'normal' strength bleach.
Somewhere around I've got a table of the ratios, I'll see if I can find it....... My next prep needs to be a filing system :oops:
Yes please, ForgeCorvus, if you can :)
Re: The supply chain, I saw something on the Box about a company that smoke salmon.
The fish are farmed just down the road from them but its cheaper for them to freeze the fish, send it to China to be filleted and ship it back then do it all in house!!
That's horrendous :( talk about food miles.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

I've been thinking a lot recently about the complexity and vulnerability of our various supply chains and just how reliant we are on luck these days to keep our society rolling along each hour, let alone for a whole day, a week or a month! :shock:

Why have we allowed ourselves to end up in such a precarious position? I doubt that many people realise just how weak the whole house of cards is, very scary.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:35 am I've been thinking a lot recently about the complexity and vulnerability of our various supply chains and just how reliant we are on luck these days to keep our society rolling along each hour, let alone for a whole day, a week or a month! :shock:

Why have we allowed ourselves to end up in such a precarious position? I doubt that many people realise just how weak the whole house of cards is, very scary.
At the lesser end of the scale,as an example: Today we are expecting a beef delivery,staff days off cancelled to prep it,ready for Chrimbo.It HAS to be done today,so that tomorrow's delivery of bacon can be dealt with...and so on.However,I just got a text from the boss to say that the delivery will not arrive until this afternoon.That means working late! :x

Like businesses small and large,we do not have storage capacity,nor do we want capital tied up in stock.Our stock is perishable and loses money on the hook through moisture loss.This is the modern business model.

At the domestic level,non preppers sneer at us for stockpiling,for whatever reason.Even preppers struggle with storage space,like businesses.Also,when I look at my own storage,I realise that I have a LOT of cash tied up in it,and some of it is costing me,such as running three freezers. As much as I would like to go from 4+ months to a year's worth,I cannot,as I have no more space,and spoilage will cost hard earned cash.

So that is where business is at.Margins are tight,and they operate this way to stay viable,and keep folks employed.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Very powerful to have a real life example from a known and trusted person, jansman, thanks for that. And relating it to our own storage issues is a stroke of genius :shock: never thought of it that way!

Hope you don't have to work too late tonight.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:43 am Very powerful to have a real life example from a known and trusted person, jansman, thanks for that. And relating it to our own storage issues is a stroke of genius :shock: never thought of it that way!

Glad that helped.Got in 10 minutes ago! :( My younger colleagues got a lesson in speed - boning!

Staying on- topic, we were told today that certain beef,poultry and cured products are now in short supply...if you ain't got it,you won't have it.Nothing to do with Brexit etc. Merely seasonal demand. Fast forward 3 months... ;)

Robert Frost.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:52 pm
Arzosah wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:43 am Very powerful to have a real life example from a known and trusted person, jansman, thanks for that. And relating it to our own storage issues is a stroke of genius :shock: never thought of it that way!

Glad that helped.Got in 10 minutes ago! :( My younger colleagues got a lesson in speed - boning!

Staying on- topic, we were told today that certain beef,poultry and cured products are now in short supply...if you ain't got it,you won't have it.Nothing to do with Brexit etc. Merely seasonal demand. Fast forward 3 months... ;)

My childishness aside, that's quite scary. I've been sticking away those cheap frozen chicken fillets I mentioned previously. I'm not a prolific carnivore but I'd miss it if I didn't have it I reckon.Will up my bacon stocks for the same reason.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Children's humour excused. :lol: No need to worry,my point was that we ( the business) cannot get those products.Not until slaughtering starts again in the New Year.It doesnt mean they are short in supply for retail.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:04 pm Children's humour excused. :lol: No need to worry,my point was that we ( the business) cannot get those products.Not until slaughtering starts again in the New Year.It doesnt mean they are short in supply for retail.
Cheers for clarifying, I'm planning on having 4 or 5 KG stuck away in the chest freezer anyway, Brexit/No Brexit, zombies/no zombies, it will get used so working to the 'if I use it I try and store it', it works. Brexit has given me a bit more wriggle room with Her Mar for getting stuff in, if its from Europe.... all's fair in love and prepping. :lol:
jansman

Post by jansman »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... eal-brexit

And this:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... lorry-park

It’s a clear and present danger in my eyes. We are at the point, as Deeps is, when it’s used it’s replaced.

Robert Frost.

Me.